Introducing the Jira Roadmap Macro for Confluence

86 comments

Josh Berman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2019

Hi @Elke Heinrichs @LarryBrock @Merve Nur Bas @Gezim Shehu Stephanie.crosbie@clydeco.com @Robin C@Jeff Watson @stef @Eugene D Bethel @Bruce Reed@JobFlow @Andrew Webster:

My name is Josh and I’m Product Marketing Manager for Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center. Thank you for your interest in all the exciting happenings with Jira Software Cloud and sharing your desire to see some of this functionality extend to Server and Data Center users.

Piggybacking on what my colleague @Jess Seitz had stated in her earlier comment, I thought I’d share some more details on what’s happening with Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center since it overlaps nicely with this topic.

As you might have known, back in April we announced the arrival of Portfolio for Jira’s 3.0 platform release. In it, we completely reimagined this product, making it simpler and more intuitive to use, flexible to varying planning styles and processes, and transparent for all users. Shortly following this release, I noted in this Community Article that following this major milestone in the product’s development, we had our sites set on further improving the product in three key areas. One such area involved expanding on the ability to allow our users to share the roadmaps they generate in Portfolio for Jira with stakeholders across their organization.

Well, I’m pleased to inform you that our team has been hard at work developing a Confluence macro of our own to enable the display of Portfolio plans directly within Confluence pages. I hope you’ll share in my excitement for this new capability when it arrives. To keep tabs on our team’s development, I encourage you to watch our version history page for updates: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212136/portfolio-for-jira/version-history.

If you need it, here's where you can find a quick refresher on the highlights of our latest platform release: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/portfolio-for-jira/portfolio-for-jira-server-and-data-center-3-has-arrived.

Best,

Josh

Kenneth Hess July 31, 2019

Please add to cloud JIRA classic projects.  Next Gen is not feature rich enough for us to make the move.

Ben Jackson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2019

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

For those keen to see roadmapping in Classic I can only say for the moment stay tuned. On the server side that has not been resourced at this point and i would say add your voice to this ticket to let the team know you'd like it prioritised.

@Andrea Lee the roadmap will update in realtime for some transactions but not all yet. Worst case it will be reflected on next page reload in Confluence. The 'Refresh' button on the 'Last updated' section is purely around recent activity. You should not need to edit and republish the page at all.

@Dontae Delgado yes you need a Jira license to view the embedded roadmap.

thanks for sharing @John Price next-gen is continuing to ship more features so that's a great way to stay connected.

@Robert Mulvey Subtasks has been recently released in Next-gen.

@Morten Hansen the Confluence cloud team addressed your comment in that ticket around the UX of adding that.

@Finn Harsfort I am getting an answer on that one for you.

Rikke Rosenberg July 31, 2019

super info

Deleted user August 1, 2019

Next-gen projects are not mature enough to use yet.  For example you can't add custom fields to your views.  Please solve those kind of issues first... 

Klaus Schlumpberger August 1, 2019

Maybe this information is helpful for those looking for a Jira Roadmap functionality for classic projects:

You can find a roadmap tool "airfocus" for Jira in the Atlassian Marketplace:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220618/airfocus-priorities-roadmaps?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Ben Jackson
Atlassian Team
August 1, 2019

@[deleted] the team are releasing new features for next-gen on a regular basis.

For everyone who's interested in Next-gen you can keep up to date with our public roadmap here

@Finn Harsfort your issue links are preserved when moved to Next-gen. If you meant  epic links that's correct at present they are not preserved when they are moved.

Sebastian Bredberg August 1, 2019

This is awesome! 

Question for all of you here (still a bit new to JIRA), is it possible to set up a confluence page with the roadmap(s) with the main purpose of showcasing it/them on for an example a TV, dashboard-style? That would help us a lot, if anyone knows a better way of doing that please let me know!  

Dino Sepac August 1, 2019

I agree with many of the posts - this feature is super-useful for classic projects!

Perhaps it could be implemented as simply as visualizing the "start date" and "end date" for the (selected) epics in the same timeline?

Guillaume Causse August 1, 2019

Hello Jessica,
Does it mean we can now use Next Gen with filers to capture User Stories and Tasks from multiple Jira Projects?

Marcus Gaikwad August 1, 2019

Why Jira Road Maps are available only on Next-Gen Projects?

Why cant it be the part of Jira Classic projects?

Maxime Pinet August 1, 2019

Is there a way to bring a Roadmap on a Cloud confluence space from a server JIRA project? 

Seretha Curry August 1, 2019

While nextgen projects are fine for short term, simple project management.  It won't work for anything with a complex workflow.  So, I'd love to see roadmaps for the projects that need them the most.

Greg Collocott August 1, 2019

This is exactly what is needed, but surely we can get this on server too ?! Cloud isn't always available for some organisations that chose to go go the other path...

Pradeep Burugu August 2, 2019

Hey, can we somehow convert the macro to a kanban view where each column in view represents month?

Savina Čolić August 2, 2019

It is great to see the roadmap ability on Confluence - we would, however, be more than happy to see it in the classic Jira project, both server and cloud.

Thank you.

Cecilie Skrindsrud Øverbø August 5, 2019

Hi! Is this feature only available for next-gen projects? We have a cloud instance of Jira, but we use classic projects over next-gen due the need to share items between projects.

Attila Bordás _Everit_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 5, 2019

I know this feature seems essential, but the good news is that there are a few roadmap solutions available in the market: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=roadmap

We are also using Jira server and wanted a simple roadmap feature like this so badly that we couldn't wait and developed it ourselves: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220785/epic-roadmap-for-jira-software Maybe this can fill your gap in planning as well.

Laura Theo August 6, 2019

This is great but please can you enable the roadmap feature in your classic software projects? We don't use Next Gen at the moment as they have too limited features...

Victor Nellemann August 7, 2019

Hello,

What is the plans to roll this feature out to classic projects?

Next-gen is so limited in it's features and customizability, that it's hard to adapt at this point. 

Regards,
Victor

Kieran Clarke August 13, 2019

Hi there,

The new road map feature is a good edition so thanks for that.

Some improvements that would be useful:

• Options to manage display. e.g. be able to show the date on the bar by default. It is not ideal to hover over each time.
  • Change the bar colour based on issue status. E.g. To Do, In Progress, Done.
  • Provide a link straight from the epic title to the Jira ticket.
  • Stories/other issue types - It would be nice to display story start and due dates (or other issue types) underneath their related epic(s). This would allow for greater detail in the road map and allow for better project planning. Currently, the roadmap is quite high-level so lacks this opportunity. For example, in most cases, I create a detailed Confluence page which encompasses issues for the one epic. On those pages, I would like to include related issues on the road map so everyone can track expected timings in detail.

Thanks,

Kieran

Ricardo Gomes September 26, 2019

We need it for Cloud non-Next-gen projects!

Next-gen projects are useless to our company, so this is no help to us...

Howard Olson September 26, 2019

How do I get this for my Jira/Confluence Server version?

Flavio Meira September 27, 2019

Indeed this is a great functionality to have. When this will released? Also, how can we extract the progress of the work packages against the planned allocation? 

Cheryl J October 2, 2019

I also would like this functionality for classic projects in Jira Cloud.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events