Introducing new features for Jira Software Cloud's roadmap

Hi Atlassian community,

A few months ago, we offered a sneak peak of the new hierarchy view on the roadmap. Thank you for all the feedback (and excitement) and for helping us shape the direction of the new next-gen roadmapping feature in Jira Software Cloud.

Based on your input, we’re proud to announce three new features for the roadmap.

Drill into the details of what’s on your roadmap with hierarchy

Teams love the roadmap because it's great for building a big picture plan and sharing a snapshot of what’s going on in a Jira Software project that anyone can consume at a glance.

We’ve heard from many teams that in addition to the big picture view, they are also looking for the ability to quickly drill into the details. With the new hierarchy feature on the roadmap, you can do just that. You can now see all the stories, tasks, and other child issues that roll up to your epics. You can also find what the status of those issues are and who’s working on them so you can get a sense whether your plan is on track and adjust accordingly.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 11.02.27 am.png

Break down work, right from the roadmap

We’ve heard from customers how much they appreciate the ability to create new roadmap items (epics) inline with a single click. With the new hierarchy view on the roadmap, we wanted to bring that same simplicity to enabling people to break down work right from the roadmap. With this new feature, you can now quickly create child issues on the roadmap without clicking into the issue detail page or navigating to the board or backlog.

Click on the + button while you're hovering on an epic.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 11.16.04 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 11.16.14 am.png

Find exactly what you need with more filters on the roadmap

As your roadmap grows, it can become harder to zero in on exactly what you’re searching for. We’ve added new filters to help you find what you’re looking for on the roadmap, whether that’s work items owned from a specific person, work in progress, or you can even take a look back and filter for work that has already been completed. Once you find the right view of the roadmap, you can easily export it to PNG through the roadmap’s share feature.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 11.29.12 am.png

For more information on these new features, check out our documentation.

125 comments

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2019

Wow, that roadmap feature seems very useful ! Hope it will be improved more in future to a state where users don't have to spend extra money on 3rd-party roadmap add-ons.

Alex Laycy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

Can't wait to see this in the flesh! - an item that's been on my wish list for a long time!

Kendis Team
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 16, 2019

Wow, thats great!

Mert Toprak December 16, 2019

Great news! Thanks :)

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2019
@Taranjeet SinghThese features are available today at no additional cost in Jira Software Cloud's next-gen template. There is definitely more to look forward to with roadmaps in Jira Software Cloud! 
Hussein December 17, 2019

Can you please enable this in classic boards as well?

There are a lot of missing features in next-gen that have kept us from migrating, and roadmaps is the one feature that is clearly missing in classic.

Christine Corona December 17, 2019

Any discussion to provide these great features for Classic projects?

Rich Wilkins December 17, 2019

Wonderful! Now add this to Server please.

Cliff Chaney December 17, 2019

Looks great. Would LOVE to use this. But until the new project type can support the ability to run parallel sprints I need to stick to Jira classic.

Dan.anas December 17, 2019

Would love to see these features in Classic as well as any further advancements towards tailoring a solution to a product development/management team! Thanks everyone!

ericwdolan December 17, 2019

This is still absolute garbage. How the hell has Instagantt gotten this right for YEARS and you still can't!? Just copy their interface and call it a day. 

venkat balla December 17, 2019

Good News

Yosun Goral December 17, 2019

Unfortunately, for the mature product teams, Next-Gen projects are still missing a lot of features and migration is another trouble. So even that this is an amazing feature I would very much like to use, I would really appreciate for you to add this feature in Classic projects until you decide to close them permanently. 

ericwdolan December 17, 2019

Seriously, why can't I see the progress of child issues on the timeline (ie. start and end dates). Epic's timelines should reflect the cumulative time and effort of the child's issues. Which it doesn't....

Right now this is still unusable and I need to go to a third party Atlassian app just to do this feature. Which is a bad UX. 

0e94bd.png

Like # people like this
Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2019

@Christine Corona @Cliff Chaney, @Dan.anas@Yosun Goral 

We are exploring avenues for bringing the roadmapping feature to Classic projects. You can follow along with the JAC ticket here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17214

Jonathan Ditzel December 17, 2019

We would love to see this in Classic Projects. Most of our primary projects can't migrate to Next-Gen Projects for the foreseeable future because of the lack of features.

Jeff Wheeler December 17, 2019

I cannot wrap my head around why only putting this feature in Next-Gen products which in itself is a contradiction as really to me - Next-Gen projects are really Old-Gen feature light. Good news I guess at least it is a new feature and maybe useful to some. In my opinion, if you want to use a tool that is a little more lightweight and Next-Gen try Monday.com - great tool. Jira "Old-Gen" still is the best for meta-data rich software projects.

Igor Kosoy December 17, 2019

Do you have a plan to build a migration mechanism for "old" jira projects and existing customer fields?

Thank you.

Kenyon Kluge December 17, 2019

Adding my input to enable this for classic projects as well as the ability to track stories and tasks start and end days to really make this a real gantt chart. I would also like to see the amount of effort in story points be cumulative and reported per resource and per epic.

David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2019

Where is the hierarchy change in this? It still seems like the very simple (and limited) Epic > Story hierarchy. Jira really needs multi-level hierarchy similar to what Structure provides. And, like others have noted, until Next-Gen and Classic can be used together, or when Next-Gen has the same full feature set, improvements to Next-Gen projects are not that helpful.

Chris Gallant December 17, 2019

Is this going to work across projects or only within a single project?  I need a good solution for managing shared resources across multiple projects where things change every couple of days.

Ravi Gandhi December 17, 2019

Why is this not available in Classic projects? As a Product Manager, I cannot understand how PM's at Atlassian are making such decisions to split up feature sets over two flavors - Unsure what the goal is.

Peter Prijs December 17, 2019

What I still miss in the scrum template is a special issue type 'theme' which would be above the epics.

Or a filter option in the road map to filter on labels.

The latter could also solve the first :)

For the rest I really like the roadmap together with the velocity reporting.

One thing would be nice though if the story point estimate would also be summed on the epic level in a way where it shows the total and the total to go.

br Peter

Kyle Gearhart December 17, 2019

Another vote for putting this in Classic.

Felipe Broering December 17, 2019

Awesome!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events