How to turn on dark mode in Jira?

Dark mode in Jira, a highly requested feature, is finally available for all users. It is still in the open beta phase, with the general release planned for the middle of 2023. Even so, you can already access the feature with a few simple steps, and enjoy the new dark aesthetics of your digital workspace.

Commonly referred to as the dark mode, it is actually a part of the new theme feature that allows users to choose a preferred visual version of the system, and easily switch between the dark and light modes according to their preferences.

You can access Jira dark mode in two ways.

Method 1:

Click on the profile picture icon in the top right corner of your Jira screen, and choose “Theme”. There’s going to be a list of theme options from which you can choose. There are currently four variants available: Light, Dark, Original, and Match system. The last option will adjust the theme of your Jira to the theme of your system.

image (38).png

Method 2:

Click on the cogwheel icon (Settings) next to your profile picture in the top right corner of your Jira screen. Choose “Personal Jira settings.” 

image (39).png

Scroll down until you see the “Theme” section. Choose your preferred Jira theme.

image (40).png

And that’s it! Once you choose the dark theme, your Jira will turn into an elegant, minimalist workspace that everyone has been waiting for! 

image (41).png

Though, if you decide that dark mode is not for you, you can easily switch back to the light theme. Play with the new feature however you like, dark on Mondays and light on Fridays, or the other way round! And don’t forget to leave your feedback to further improve the new functionality.

If you’re a fan of the dark mode, make sure to also check out the dark-themed versions of our SolDevelo applications.

8 comments

Frederik Vantroys
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2023

Very nice ! 

Running things in dark mode has become a small unhealthy obsession over the last years for me personally so ... I'm happy :-)

Like Inna Gordin likes this
Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 30, 2023

🙌

Jason Chayer July 18, 2023

@Frederik Vantroys @Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _ 

Is this only available on the Cloud version? I have Software, but "Theme" is not an option under my picture or the gear icon (personal settings).

Like # people like this
ElizabethC August 23, 2023

My version of JIRA has neither Theme or Personal Jira Settings. 

Like Julian Janda likes this
DélaMeĕsia S August 25, 2023

Same goes for me no option to select theme or personal jira settings.

I see that it is only for the mobile apps and not desktop or website. Which is a shame I have a strong sensitivity to light.

Johan Hovgren September 26, 2023

When will it be available in Jira Software - datacenter?

Like # people like this
Linux Admin November 13, 2023

What is the compatibility version with Server or Datacenter if any?

Like Julian Janda likes this
KJ Tan November 29, 2023

There is dark mode in the roadmap for Data Center

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events