How to integrate your Employee's performance review process into Jira Cloud

How do you know your employees are developing their skills and knowledge? Performance reviews are crucial in any organization since they define a staff member's future development.

The performance review became a standard procedure of HR processes a long time ago. As a minimum, you probably have been requested to fill the Google Form with the list of questions about your teammate. 

The post in the Atlassian community and the dramatic growth of add-ons around different topics like Design, Marketing, Business Analysis, and HR demonstrate that more and more organizations try to set their work in Jira. It seems people try to simplify their work and not to be overwhelmed with too many apps.

Jira Performance Review Template

Atlassian made significant progress to cover the functionality for all the departments and launched the Jira Work Management. It is a new type of project inside Jira with predefined workflow, board, etc.

The main difference between company managed projects and Business one are Forms and Calendars. With Forms functionality, you can create a list of questions using the drag-and-drop option.

employee rewiew in jira.png

Once the Form is Done, you can assign it as a regular Jira issue to any person (Assignee) who should process with Performance Review questions.

Then, use existing Jira functionality like duplication, linking and automation to make the process more efficient.

Business Process Manager’s Template 

As an Atlassian Vendor, we would like to suggest our tool we released a few months ago – Business Process Manager (BPM). It allows users to build any regular business process that can be transformed into Jira issues with Assignees.

The Performance Review is one of the examples you can build the process for. Moreover, we've already prepared the Employee Performance Review Template that you can use immediately after the installation.

process template.png

The Employee performance review template includes 2 forms that Assignee should submit.

• The first step is about general employee information and feedback on every important competency your company might value, like communication, leadership, time management.

workflow template in jira.png

• Another process step and Form to complete is Goal setting. So, both forms will be assigned as a regular Jira issue to any Assignee you would like to get feedback from. All submitted data will be saved and kept in those issues.
  • The 3rd step has an Approved type. With this setting, you can set the person or even list of people who should Approve the correctness of the data in the submitted Form.

In our case, once Goals have been set, we want the system to send the Goals to the employee as a question and expect his/her approval on suggested Goals.

approval step in jira.png

The described process might give the HR administrator a beneficial tool to control the performance review process.

Moreover, BPM features can make it even more efficient and helpful:

• Process Start scheduling. Administrators can set the exact day when the Annual Performance review should be assigned – for example, every 6 months.
  • Destination field synchronization. Any of the submitted data within the Form can also be mapped to Jira custom fields. 
  • Start the process with the 3-rd party app trigger.
  • Each process generates its Start URL that can be used as a trigger from other apps or Jira Automation. Manual efforts will be minimal. 
  • Restrictions. If you don't want others to see the Form, restrict it to only a particular list of people.

Takeaway

Performance Review Template is one more way to simplify your work with repeatable activities by Business Process Manager. As an outcome, you’ll have saved efforts, time and money. Have you tried to use templates for an employee performance review in Jira?

5 comments

Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Thanks for sharing @Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_ I found this such an interesting read as I have a tendency to use Trello but I loved the perspective of performance reviews in Jira Cloud!

Like # people like this
Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 18, 2021

@Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ I'm glad to hear that it interested you! We are now working hard to help companies organize all the processes in their Jira Cloud without the use of additional applications, Google tables, etc.

If you have an interesting case, and you want to share it, we will be happy to create a process template for the request and describe how you can organize it using BPM.

Regards

Like # people like this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Thanks @Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_! I'll take a look and get back to you 😃 

Like # people like this
mark_zavagno February 15, 2022

@Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_  i have just downloaded the PBM app, can I store monthly staff reviews within the cloud even if they are not users on Jira? I am trying to keep all HR activities in one place as opposed to using different tools.  Thanks :) 

Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 21, 2022

@mark_zavagnoHi! Thanks for the comment. This feature now is under development. 
If you have any questions about using our add-on, ask me here. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events