How-to apply the renaming of an issue type everywhere in Jira

Context

Renaming an issue type in Jira is easy. In a few clicks you rename you issue type to something (completely) different.

In my use case I am renaming Call/Incident to Incident because the original name is not useful for us anymore.

Identify impacted Jira functionalities

When you rename an issue type you don't have to change your issue type schemes, workflow schemes, issue type screen schemes or any other configuration elements that use the ID of the issue type in the background.

However Jira does have parts where the actual name of the issue type is used. Those parts have to be updated manually. They can be identified easily with some SQL queries (on Jira Server). I added a simple and advanced query with more useful data for each case.

• the following queries were written for an Oracle database. You might have to change them to suit your SQL flavor.
  • Replace call/incident with the name of your issue type.

Jira Core

Saved Filters

Simple
SELECT * FROM SEARCHREQUEST WHERE LOWER(REQCONTENT) LIKE '%call/incident%';
Advanced
SELECT u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email_address, u.active AS "User is Active", s.id AS "Filter ID", s.filtername, s.reqcontent FROM SEARCHREQUEST s
JOIN CWD_USER u ON s.username = u.lower_user_name
JOIN CWD_DIRECTORY d on u.DIRECTORY_ID = d.id
WHERE d.active = 1
AND LOWER(s.REQCONTENT) LIKE '%call/incident%';

Jira Service Desk

Service Desk Queues

Simple
SELECT * FROM AO_54307E_QUEUE WHERE LOWER(JQL) LIKE '%call/incident%';
Advanced
SELECT p.id, p.pkey, p.lead, p.pname, q.id, q.jql, q.name
FROM AO_54307E_QUEUE q
JOIN PROJECT p ON q.PROJECT_ID = p.id
WHERE LOWER(JQL) LIKE '%call/incident%';

Jira Software

Agile Board Swimlanes

Simple
SELECT * FROM AO_60DB71_SWIMLANE WHERE lower(query) LIKE '%call/incident%' OR lower(long_query) LIKE '%call/incident%';
Advanced
SELECT r.name AS "Board Name", r.owner_user_name AS "BOARD OWNER", s.name, s.long_query, s.query FROM AO_60DB71_SWIMLANE s
JOIN AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW r ON s.RAPID_VIEW_ID = r.ID
WHERE lower(query)
LIKE '%call/incident%'
OR lower(long_query) LIKE '%call/incident%';

Agile Board Quick Filters

Simple
SELECT * FROM AO_60DB71_QUICKFILTER WHERE lower(query) LIKE '%call/incident%' OR lower(long_query) LIKE '%call/incident%';
Advanced
SELECT r.name AS "Board Name", r.owner_user_name AS "BOARD OWNER", q.description, q.long_query, q.query FROM AO_60DB71_QUICKFILTER q
JOIN AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW r ON q.RAPID_VIEW_ID = r.ID
WHERE lower(query)
LIKE '%call/incident%'
OR lower(long_query) LIKE '%call/incident%';

Agile Board Card Colors

Simple
SELECT * FROM AO_60DB71_CARDCOLOR WHERE strategy = 'custom' AND lower(val) LIKE '%call/incident%';
Advanced
SELECT r.name AS "Board Name", r.owner_user_name AS "BOARD OWNER", c.color, c.strategy, c.val
FROM AO_60DB71_CARDCOLOR c
JOIN AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW r ON c.RAPID_VIEW_ID = r.ID
WHERE strategy = 'custom'
AND lower(val) LIKE '%call/incident%';

Did I forget some? Feel free to add them in the comments and I will update the article.

6 comments

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2019

Good article! - thank you @Charlie Misonne for sharing

Caroline Smith September 7, 2020

Has anybody written DB update scripts to update these values as opposed to just finding them and manually fixing them?  Surely this should be built into the rename functionality in Jira that when you rename an issue type it also updates all references to the old name.

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2020

@Caroline Smith 

I haven't because in my case their were very little results so it was not worth writing update scripts.

But I agree this should be built-in functionality in Jira. Related feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-30467

Stefanie Sullivan November 15, 2023

What is the impact in Jira Software CLoud?

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2023

On Cloud there is no way to get similar overviews. And the feature request is still open https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-30467

My approach would be to fix filters when you notice they are broken after performing the change. Send out instructions to your users about this to warn them in advance.

Fides IT Admin Account February 8, 2024

You also have to take care of any post-functions and Conditions implemented in languages like SIL.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events