How to Jira for designers

jira-design_tweet.png

I’m a designer on the Jira team. For a long time, I’ve fielded questions from other designers about how they should be using Jira Software with their design team. I’ve also heard feedback from other designers that while they love how Jira helps them to collaborate with dev teams, sometimes Jira feels unfamiliar or even overwhelming for day to day work.

With the release of our next-gen template for Jira Software, we think we’ve made the Jira Software easier to set up and more intuitive to use for design teams. As one of the designers building next-gen, we’ve also honed practices to help our design team be as effective as possible with Jira Software.

I wrote this article giving 6 tips for design teams to improve the way they work with Jira Software:

https://medium.com/designing-atlassian/how-to-jira-for-designers-e37c354aa078

If you have thoughts, feedback or comments, feel free to share them here! 

5 comments

@James Rotanson it's exciting to see a how-to showing the new capabilities of next-gen software geared towards a design-centered team.

Do you know if there is existing documentation or efforts to show:

• How this Design centered project could fit in with say Classic Jira Software dev project workflows? How could people transition issues from Design to Dev? Or share updates with design on how those features are being dev'd - think this would be a very valuable how-to to show how Next-Gen and Classic projects work together - lmk if this documentation exists somewhere!
  • From what I have seen, it seems that Next-Gen is being geared towards a simpler UI and less dev focused features. Does that mean that it's also being targeted towards PM?
  • One of the conundrums our team faces all the time is how dev practices tie into design team workflow, and PM team workflow. It would be great if there are more resources to make these processes more cohesive.

Thanks for sharing!

Nikki

I have the same questions as Nikki above. As designers, we want to work more collaboratively with product managers and developers, so facilitating this in Jira is a must-have!

@James RotansonI mean this is pretty much of a silo. How do you work when you have a true cross-functional team where the designer is a full team member? How do you embed UX tasks to visualize WIP and dependencies? See this interesting post here https://medium.com/@johnpcutler/hybrid-boards-for-roadmapping-736a0514d3d8

James Rotanson Atlassian Team Thursday

Hi all, 

Thanks for raising some really good points about bridging the gap between Design, Development and Product management all together! The current way we're handling this in Next-gen is by setting a Rule in the Done column of the design project to assign the issue to the Feature lead. This will then be taken into planning meeting or kickoffs and then we'll see if there are any remaining questions for the spec. 

Of course, this is only one way to do it - and we've so much more to learn! As Lars have kindly shared, there's a ton of different ways to use Jira. It all depends on your team. Having said that, we can definitely provide a better experience and it's awesome to see so much appetite in this. We'd love to have a deeper chat with you through our research group.

We'll be looking into this end to end collaboration more especially as the Next-Gen direction is to simplify Jira for every team but still retain the power. Case in point, the Next-Gen Roadmap is geared for Product Managers but we've also geared up on the development panel

Hope this helps!

This is wild; I'm a developer, so it was super interesting to see what the tool looks like from that perspective. I honestly had no idea designers used Jira Software, I would have never guessed.

Comment

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you