How does Jira Automation extend to designers?

What's my design process?

Though it's easy for me to answer this question now, previously, I had some issues conveying design culture because the process was complicated and hard to follow.

Now it's different.

I save hours of work in Jira every month and keep everything in one place.
How? With the simple yet powerful, rule builder I can automate any task or process across products and projects to save time and keep Jira up to date. Jira collection includes automation best practices, guides, tutorials, and tips & tricks.

ScriptRunner Enhanced Search - Jira 2021-08-01 09-14-33.jpg

Here's what my workflow looks like today:

• Backlog: This is my to-do list, full of ideas and suggestions.
  • Exploring: It's still in initial exploration, which means lots of sketches and whiteboard photos.
  • Active research: A usability study is still ongoing.
  • Analyzing: It's the stage where I listen to customer interviews and user testing clips to compile my findings.
  • Sparring: This is where I review work with other designers, product managers, and developers to see if we're moving in the right direction.
  • Copy review: This is when we sense to check with the Content Design team to make sure we're communicating in the right tone and voice with our users.
  • Design: All things need to be documented, and Figma files need to be wrapped up in an excellent little package. There are handy Design-templates to create design systems, brainstorm ideas, and run design sprints.

As a UX Designer, it makes my life easier to focus on engaging with my work and not finding it.

For example:

Figma

Changes in my Figma designs and prototypes automatically update in my Jira Issue.

AdobeXD for Jira

I have easy access to the latest Adobe XD prototypes and design specs for Jira issues.

Invision

It brings my design workflow right into Jira to give every issue instant context.

User Story Map - Jira 2021-07-31 18-29-02.jpg

When I deal with sub-tasks and their parent issues, it's essential to synchronized related problems. Automation makes this easy using branch rules. For example, when I resolve a sub-task, I can set up a rule to automatically transition the parent issue if there are no additional unresolved sub-tasks.

Another everyday use case is for sub-tasks to inherit values from their parent, for example, fix versions. I can sync these values to ensure that both parent and sub-task have up-to-date information.

Browse - Jira 2021-08-01 10-26-43.jpg

There are plenty of options to take the manual tasks out of your workflow today with powerful automation tools for the whole process and team. But there is a lot of learning and work to be done for me so far.

We often hear that Jira Software is the source of truth for product managers and developers, complete with powerful integrations and custom configurations. But Jira Automation extends to designers as well.

I feel more empowered to design projects on my board fully.

4 comments

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2021

That's a good one @Marianna Ole !!

Like Marianna Ole likes this
Marianna Ole August 1, 2021

Thank you so much @Kishan Sharma

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 3, 2021

Amazing @Marianna Ole !!

Like Marianna Ole likes this
Marianna Ole August 3, 2021

Thank you so much, @Bridget 🙈

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events