How I Approach Jira Configuration as an Administrator

It was inevitable. After some time using the brand new, “clean” slate of Jira project configurations, additional adjustments needed to be made. I am not resistant to additional changes. In fact, I inform team members that they should expect changes to the initial configuration to occur in order to adapt to changing business needs - a big selling point for adopting the Jira platform.

Before I even begin to fulfill the incoming request, I hit the brakes and run through a few questions before any configuration. Here are the questions I ask before implementing the configuration:

Note: These thoughts only pertain to configurations that support company-managed projects. Team-managed projects don’t require much involvement from Jira administrators. 

1. What is the problem we are trying to solve? It is important for me to understand the context behind the configuration request. Once I understand the problem, I can use my knowledge to either move forward with the configuration request or suggest another option that may serve as a better solution.
  2. Do we really need this configuration? Sometimes, I discover that the configuration does not solve the problem at hand. When an additional discussion is held with the requestor and/or team, we usually arrive at a solution that does not require the original configuration request to solve the problem. In this way, we can avoid unnecessary configurations and keep the Jira site clean. 
  3. Can we use a configuration that already exists? To minimize redundant configurations, I will first identify existing configurations that can be reused. For example, instead of creating a new status, I will pitch a similarly named status to the requestor. The same holds true for priorities, custom fields, issue types, and more. If I recommend something different than what was requested, I promise I am not trying to push my own agenda or exercise control. I simply want to meet your objective and keep the Jira site simple to manage.
  4. Is this a change that you are able to do without my assistance? There are multiple levels of administration in Jira. I will oftentimes receive requests from project or board administrators to implement a configuration that they are able to do without my help! For example, a project administrator may ask me to provide project access to a user. If the project’s permission scheme uses project roles, then a project administrator is able to provision access to users. In these situations, I will coach the requestor and/or appropriate user on how to fulfill this request so that I can empower my coworkers and reduce my workload.

Once I run the configuration request through these questions, I’ll implement, validate, and ask the requestor to validate the configuration.

This is my thought process for Jira administration. Yes, I realize that these principles are useful when administering other systems as well! Fellow Jira administrators, what is your thought process and approach to Jira administration on the sites you manage?

4 comments

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2022

Hi, @Sam Nadarajan !

Golden rules for every administrator!

Thank you for the article!

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Good ways of looking at requests, those!

I also consider

1. The amount of future work that will be needed to maintain the customization, particularly automation and scripts.

2. Will the approach scale if we have 5x of everything in a few years

3. Do I have somewhere to record our chosen approach to this kind of request, for the next Jira admins who take over after me

Like Sam Nadarajan likes this
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2022

If you don't already have a change control system I suggest you put a project in Jira for users to request changes and track them. 

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

@Matt Doar those are great questions to ask and I like how they make you think long beyond your involvement!

@Joe Pitt Absolutely necessary so that paper trail is established!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events