Everything you need to know about migrating from the DVCS Connector to the new GitHub for Jira app

32 comments

Taylor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

Sorry @bmarto ! I think I missed your comment before - are you still having issues?

@Danyale Clay Really sorry to hear your having trouble! But we can definitely help sort this out. So, the app is now owned and maintained by GitHub. Have you tried looking through https://github.com/integrations/jira/blob/master/SUPPORT.md?

Seems like the 19 days since last sync means something is getting stuck. What does the sync status say column say?

If you haven't already you may want to do a full uninstall and reinstall. You won't lose any data because part of the design is to resync the history of data - which that initial sync is likely what is getting stuck.

Adam Harvey March 18, 2020

@Taylor Might you have any insight if this integration is to be extended beyond Jira Cloud and to the Jira Data Center product?

We're a user of both Jira DC and GitHub Enterprise, and our DVCS integration is extremely valuable to our user base. However, it is having difficulty scaling, and the challenges as illuminated in your original post of course remain with Jira DC (the OAuth, approval process, creation of web hooks, etc, etc).  We find the DVCS scan for our large number of organizations either times out or triggers GHE's rate limiting, reducing the effectiveness of the solution.  A more efficient push direct to the Jira APIs seem ideal.

Mihai Ungureanu October 31, 2020

I have been struggling to link my free Jira cloud tenant to my free GitHub account. Although I executed everything to the letter, at the end of the procedure the "create branch" link in the issues is still getting me to bitbucket. I have no developer panel or means to interacting with the newly linked GitHub account.

Is this scenario supported? This is my use case:

1. Installed the GitHub app and linked it as for the provided documentation. It synchronized just fine

2. Created a new repo in GitHub (master branch, having the "readme" only)

3. Created a new "next-gen" project in Jira Software

4. Enabled development mode in manage apps -> settings (bottom of page)

5. Created the first issue in the new project

The result is no way to interact with GitHub at all. I expected to have the possibility of creating a branch for the issue. The developer panel is missing in the issue page.

What am I missing?

Alexander Developer December 3, 2020

Hi everyone! We use Jira Cloud and self-managed Gitlab instances. I tried to integrate them between each other. I created specific users for Jira in Gitlab and for Gitlab in Jira. I entered credentials and a token of this Jira user at Gitlab "Settings-Integrations". I entered Application ID and Secret ID of Gitlab instance into DVCS account at Jira. But there is no shown repositories of our Gitlab instance in Jira.

Please, suggest what steps I missed or did wrong. How can I complete this integration?chrome_2020-12-03_13-00-40.jpgchrome_2020-12-03_13-06-31.jpgchrome_2020-12-03_13-08-39.jpg

Peter Richmond October 5, 2021

@Taylor In Sept 2019, earlier in thread you mentioned that we could (soon, to then?) hook up Github Enterprise to JIRA Cloud without opening firewall ports, presumably a series of one-way posts from GHE to JIRA Cloud. I'm trying to set exactly this up, but need more specifics about how to configure both sides (JIRA Cloud and GHE Enterprise server) for this communication. Can you give more details?

Olimpia Estela Cáceres-Brown September 6, 2022

Hi @Peter Richmond did you succeed with Jira Cloud and GHE Enterprise?  @Taylor do you have any insights to share?

Thanks,

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2023

I know this is a really old article. For anybody that stumbles across it there is a newer article from April 2023.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Upgrade-from-DVCS-and-supercharge-your-workflow-with-GitHub-for/ba-p/2330589

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events