Essential Free Plugins for Jira

If you are an experienced Jira Administrator, you know that there are a few critical must-have plugins. While there are many paid plugins that I use in almost every client engagement, there are three that I have found invaluable as a Jira admin.

Last Log for Jira

The first must-have free plugin is Last Log for Jira from Decadis AG. This plugin has a simple purpose. It gives you access to any of the Jira logs and displays them in reverse order, so that the most recent log entries are at the top.

Image 26.png

As you can see in the picture above, you can set the maximum number of lines to show from the log. This is from the bottom of the log. You pick the log file that you want to see in the drop down “log-file” field. Any of the logs in the <HOME DIRECTORY>/log directory are available to view.

You can also restrict the view to only log entries that have a particular string. This can be very useful to hunt for only ERROR messages or for messages from a particular plugin. One feature that would be really nice to have is to be able to indicate how many lines after the found string to show. Sometimes, you need not only the line that the string references but some of the additional log entries that follow. Looking at the top 5 lines of a stack trace, for instance, is often necessary to really understand the root cause of the problem.

This is one plugin that “I never leave home without.”

Home Directory Browser and DB Console

Some Jira administrators don’t have login access to the application server where Jira is installed or to the database itself. While this may meet your organization’s security requirements, it can be a real impediment to an administrator who needs to dig into problems that need a deeper dive. When Atlassian asks you to run a query as part of their troubleshooting, having to wait until the DBA gets to it sets back your effort to resolve the problem quickly.

Enter Home Directory Browser and DB Console from Atlazon that provides the administrator access to the Home directory and to a DB Console. This is an UNSUPPORTED plugin, but one that I have used for years and rely on for diagnosing problems and doing audits of my client environments.

The Home Directory Browser is shown below:

Image 24.png

This gives you access to the Home directory and all of its sub-directories. You can download any file as a ZIP to your local environment. If you need to grab an export or a log or investigate some other file, this is a quick way to get it through the GUI without having to log into the application server.

The DB Console gives you full access to the Jira database. For the most part, you will use it to look at different tables, but you can execute any SQL command in the Console, so be careful and use with caution.

Image 25.png

Here you see a view of the “cwd_user” table in my test environment. The drop-down “Select Table” gives you a full list of tables in the database. Selecting a table will show you all of the columns in the table and populate the “Enter SQL” field with SELECT * FROM “<table>”. Click on Execute and you will see the values.

You can change the SQL to anything you need, so you can execute your own complex queries and even make updates to the data. As I said, use with caution.

User Switcher

There are several paid apps that allow you to impersonate a User and I do like them. However, if your budget is tight and you can’t get the funding for a paid app, this User Switcher plugin from TNG Technology Consulting GmbH gets the job done. Note that this app is UNSUPPORTED.

Once you have installed the plugin, you can press “xx” (x twice) to bring up the user switcher dialog

Image 27.png

Now, you can pick any user to impersonate, allowing you to log in as them. This really helps to debug problems that users are reporting. Once you select the user, the plugin will then log into Jira as that user. To switch back, you need to log out and log back in with your admin credentials.

Unlike some of the paid apps, User Switcher does not have an Audit mechanism, so this may violate compliance and audit requirements in some environments.

Others?

Do you have a free admin app that you find invaluable? Share it with us!

9 comments

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2020

One free tool that I used a lot at my previous job was Power Admin, it makes it so much easier to find the custom field IDs which makes scripting so much easier.

C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2020

@Mikael Sandberg Thanks for the tip. I will look into it. 

Deleted user June 10, 2020

thanks i didn't know the plugin for browse directory and DB

I use these here quite often:

Project Properties: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217709/enhanced-project-properties

Automation for Jira Lite
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211836/automation-for-jira-server-lite (in many cases afterwards customers buy the full version of Automation for Jira that I find to be an excellent plugin !)

this instead to categorize JQL filters when there are many https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214394/menu-gadget

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2020

Psst @C_ Derek Fields - we are supposed to use "app" instead of "plugin" now. 

There is a distinction written somewhere. 

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2020

Yeah, but I call them plugins and people seem to understand :)
Plugins, add-ons, addons, apps ... all confusing

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2020

Pretty useful. Thanks for sharing. The Integrity Check for Jira is also a good free one to keep your Jira clean and prevent headaches during migrations as well.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2020

@Ivan Lima I agree with you on that one, very useful!

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2020

Thanks for the shoutout @C_ Derek Fields - your feature request ha been added to our backlog.

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2020

Thanks everyone here for sharing the list of free and useful add-ons for JIRA. I have used some of them myself and they are really must for any JIRA Admin tp make their life easier.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events