Did someone say swimlanes in Jira Cloud Mobile?

From today, if your board in Jira uses the ‘swimlanes' feature (for classic projects) or ‘group by’ (in next-gen projects), you’ll now see the swimlanes for your board in the Jira cloud mobile apps.

This was one of our most requested features for the mobile apps, so we’re excited to bring this experience to you.

(Not sure what swimlanes/group-by are? Find out more here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-swimlanes-764478010.html)

We currently support all of the swimlane types in classic projects:

• Projects

• Epics

• Assignees

• Queries

• Stories

We also support all of the currently available groupings in next-gen projects:

• Issue parents

• Assignees

If you are an admin on the board/ project, you can also change the grouping used in your board from the app, by swiping down to reveal the filters in the board on iOS or clicking the filter icon from the top navigation bar in Android and clicking the 'group by' filter. Note: this changes the grouping for everyone that uses the board.

This is available from version 76 (currently in beta) of the official Jira iOS app and version 22 of the official Jira Android app.

To get access to these features right now, sign up to become a beta tester: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Sign-up-to-be-a-beta-tester-for-the-official-Jira-native-apps/ba-p/1024355

Let us know what you think of the new boards experience using the in-app feedback by shaking your phone, or from the Account tab in the app!

8 comments

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2019

Awesome!

Sean Blezard March 13, 2019

Hi, this isn’t swimlanes - this is grouping inside each lane. A swimlane creates completely separate horizontal tracks that divide up tickets. When I select “group by epic” all I get is a wrapper in each column for the epics). Am I missing something??

David Wilson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2019

Hey Sean, thanks for your response, and no you aren’t missing anything.

We’ve decided to optimise swimlanes (group by for next gen) on mobile, for the most common way people see and interact with boards on mobile, one column at a time vs web where the majority of the time you can view the whole board at once. During testing we looked at a number of different options including, replicating how you view and interact with swimlanes on web, however there were a number of issues with this. The most common issue being respecting the column height for all columns, pushed a lot of issues off the screen in place of large, empty columns.

I’d be happy to jump on a call to hear how you currently use swimlanes and better understand how that translates to mobile. You can reach me at dwilson@atlassian.com

Cheers
Dave

shukuyen May 2, 2019

Hi there,

this feature does not seem to work for me. My (classic) board has swimlanes enabled based on stories but on iPad (version 79 according to the App Store, version 80 according to the in App settings) no grouping is happening. Child Tasks are on the same level as their parent tasks.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Cornelius

Josh Carolan
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2019

Hi @shukuyen

Sorry I missed your comment - is this still an issue for you?

David Mohl October 16, 2019

Hi, I do still have issues with this. I'm working in an agile setting where stories have subtasks and sometimes now and then there is a task without a story. 

On the web we use swimlanes but on the iOS app this turns into "Group by Stories" so instead having proper lanes to see the progress of stories, I end up having a ton of tiny story boxes with different sizes, with sometimes not even tasks in them (if there is no task in that status) which makes the board extremely hard to use. 

I'd also prefer proper swimlanes for this. Group by makes the board feel very chaotic. 

Konstantine Shengelia October 27, 2019

Two issues:

1. Let mobile group or un-group swimlanes independently from Desktop.
  2. Hide empty swimlanes;
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2020

@Josh Carolan - in landscape mode on a mobile, could swimlanes be shown across columns? (I don't see a feature request for this... I should add one, eh?)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events