Come to the dark side... Jira dark mode is here!

The wait is finally over. One of the most anticipated Jira features – Jira dark mode – is now in open beta phase, and can be easily accessed by all users. If you’re a fan of minimalistic dark themes, this functionality is designed for you. So don’t waste another minute, and come to the dark side with Jira!

It’s always darkest before the dawn

Dark mode is no longer a fancy option – it quickly becomes a standard. Whether it’s for its elegant, minimalistic look, higher attention paid to contrast, more creative approach to design, or simply a personal preference, the concept of dark mode has gathered a large following, and has been enthusiastically welcomed in the Jira community as well. 

People were waiting for this feature for years now. The more determined ones came up with a handful of workarounds, such as 3rd party browser extensions, that allowed applying dark mode aesthetics to Jira in your browser. However, such solutions were flawed, not exactly straightforward, and some of them even required payment. You can still find countless questions, discussions and tutorials online, guiding people step by step on how to achieve the desired result by yourself, since the feature was not provided by Jira. Still, many users didn’t want to put trust in 3rd party options, and waited for the dark mode feature to be available within Jira.

Hello darkness, my old friend

To address these needs, Atlassian engaged in developing a dark mode feature that would meet the users’ expectations and provide a simple solution to their desire for dark aesthetics.

Dark mode feature was first available only in the early access program, but has been recently moved to the open beta phase. It means that you can now easily turn your Jira into a delightfully dark working space, without any additional steps.

To switch to the dark mode, click on the icon of your profile photo in the top right corner of your screen.

image (35).png

Choose “Theme” and you’ll be met with four options: Light, Dark, Original, and Match system. The last option will adjust the theme of your Jira to the theme of your system. 

For now, choose “Dark” and enjoy the new elegant color palette. Let your journey with Jira dark mode begin!

image (36).png

Since the dark mode is still in its beta phase, you are very welcome to provide your feedback on the feature so that it can be improved and better answer users’ needs.

Jira Marketplace vendors are currently working on dark theme versions of their apps, to be compatible with the new feature. The general availability of Jira themes is scheduled for the middle of 2023. You can find more details here.

image (37).png

Because who doesn't enjoy a little bit of dark elegance in their lives? We certainly do!

Is dark mode your thing?

The new feature is already available in SolDevelo apps! Check out how well dark mode suits us.

8 comments

Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2023

Hey!

Dark mode is awesome!

As a Jira administrator, I personally prefer using the dark theme most of the time. I often need to assist users, and in many cases, this involves taking screenshots to help them more efficiently. Since the majority of users use the light theme, it's generally better to provide instruction screenshots made with the light theme.

It would be really nice to have a shortcut for easily switching between themes. Currently, I'm using the Command Palette feature (shift+k), but this shortcut requires me to use both hands to access the menu. Another option could be to remap a key on the keyboard or mouse to access that menu and change the theme easily.

Could we have a more convenient shortcut to switch themes back and forth? In my opinion, using ctrl+q or some other key combination accessible with one hand would be really great. Additionally, having a visible minimalist button somewhere in the UI would be helpful as well.

Like Tomislav Tobijas likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2023

Been on Jira dark mode since it was release in the labs! Havent switched back since ... This is great to see! Now onto the next most requested and wanted features huh? :) Looking forward to them too

Onwards and upwards!

m-a-r-o-u July 8, 2023

Sorry, but why not roll out dark theme on all atlassian products?
what are you guys doint over there? This should be simple.

Like Sanka Insomphou likes this
Zach Pennington August 10, 2023

Hey, any idea how we get our logo to play nice with dark mode? We have a transparent PNG that is now dark text on a dark background. I'm guessing we add a background color to it, but it seems like the logo box contains some padding, so I'm not sure that will work in both modes.

Like Fanny Vachet likes this
Kathryn Kosey September 14, 2023

This is wonderful! And in the next iteration, can the Site Logo configuration page get a new "dark mode logo" option in addition to the current logo setting?

Our logo has different branding guidelines and colors when on darker fields, and right now it looks pretty silly to have the sudden white square floating in the corner with our logo while in dark mode.

Like # people like this
Caleb Miller September 26, 2023

Currently using Dark Mode for Jira Servicedesk. Right now in Dark Mode, when I scroll thru my ServiceDesk queue, the scrollbar does not change color to contrast with the dark mode and so it is invisible. it is dark while it should be light.

Like Jennifer Hoyt likes this
Timm Dapper October 20, 2023

I would like to second the comment from Kathryn Kosy. It would be really useful to allow for separate logos for dark and light mode!

Derek Adkins November 23, 2023

Showing non-working days on the sprint burndown is glaringly white.  And some other weird stuff across all the Jira reports.  I think a bit more thought needs to be done on the report colours.

Also I think we need a bit more contrast to indicate the columns a bit better on the active sprint board.

But overall.. Its not bad.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events