👋 👀 Check out 6 usability improvements to Jira Software Cloud — and a sneak peek at what’s next!

61 comments

Neill B May 1, 2023

@LironThank you, and thanks for replying on that thread I linked, for some reason the Reply field isn't working properly on some pages - the grey "Reply..." text stays and the box doesn't update to a submittable text box. But this one did for some reason? Anyway I just wanted to acknowledge your response and maybe bring this reply issue to your attention.

Like Liron likes this
Liron
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2023

by the way everyone, here's another improvement that we just started rolling out this week! https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Add-watchers-to-an-issue-while-creating-it/ba-p/2334611

Geetanjali Sharma May 1, 2023

@Liron we are using Jira Software, standard plan in our organization and I am unable to see these usability improvements on our company managed project. Is this available for everyone?

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2023

Hey @Mateusz Skalski

Thank you for the feedback. Something you might find useful is our Bulk rank feature. It's not as simple as drag-and-drop, but you can select a family of issues and bulk rank the entire selection.

The best way to do this for the entire hierarchy is:

• Use the issue's meatball menu to "select this and all descendant issues"Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 4.04.25 pm.png
  • Select the "Bulk actions" dropdown
  • Select "Rank"
  • Then you can chose where you want to rank the entire selection. Either to the Top, Bottom or above/below another specific issue's rankScreenshot 2023-05-03 at 4.06.33 pm.png

Does this help with your use case?

Mateusz Skalski May 3, 2023

@Rhys Christian Thank you for your answer. I know this option and I use it as a workaround, but it has a significant issue that caused several hard to identify problems in my workflow. Let me explain.

When you schedule a plan, naturally only issues with the estimate are scheduled. Their parents are just wrapped around them. This means that only the level with the estimates (story level most of the time) influences the plan.

The result of the above is that ranks of epics and other higher levels that don't have an estimate are not always at the same place as their children.

So now, when the user wants to use your workaround, it would be a mistake to rank the selection above/below an issue on that high level, as it can be anywhere as is not "glued" to the ranks of its underlying stories with estimates.

To really be sure that you do what you intend to do, you need to do the following:

1. Find a high level issue above/below which you want to rank your issue.
  2. Expand it to the level with estimates.
  3. If you want to rank above it, find the highest ranked children of that high level story that has an estimate, or, if you want to rank below, find the lowest one.
  4. Provide that issue's key to the rank above/below prompt instead of the high level key.

As you can see, it's cumbersome but it's the only way to make sure you're ranking things correctly.

The old approach from Portfolio 2.0 was better, because thanks to it high level issues were "glued" to their children and you could safely, easily and quickly manipulate the plan only on the high level and it worked flawlessly, without surprises.

And finally, I need to underline again: what's to point of how it is implemented right now? It's extremely misleading. Is there a plan manager who wants to move high level items without having an effect of the actual work plan? I don't understand why anyone would want that. If something is made important on the high level and moved high in the plan, we want the stories to move higher for the developers too.

Finally, I need to add, that I'm currently mailing with a Jira representative who responded to my feedback about it. He was also misled by it and thought that if you rerank a high level story it's children are also reranked because they are visible under the parent. It's not true of course but it shows how weird the current implementation is, if even Jira representatives are misled by it.

Liron
Atlassian Team
May 5, 2023

@Geetanjali Sharma 

Right now the inline editing features are only in Team Managed projects. BUT!!! Guess what, we are bringing the same front end of Team Managed Projects for Boards and Backlogs into Company Managed Projects!

This means not only more modern look and feel but also a lot of improvements and efficiencies such as this one to be available across all project types.

We have just started rolling out early access to the new Boards and Backlogs in Company Managed Projects - would you want the ability to turn that on and give us your feedback?

Here's the relevant community article and the link to sign up :)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/Try-the-enhanced-Jira-board-and-backlog-before-everyone-else/ba-p/2331946

Geetanjali Sharma May 9, 2023

Thanks for the info @Liron Appreciate that!!

Liron
Atlassian Team
May 14, 2023

No worries! would there be anyone here who would like to schedule a 30 minute call to go over how youre going with these changes, and/or other ease-of-use pains you have with Jira Software you want to tell a product manager about :) 

Please book some time with me ! 

https://calendly.com/ldeutsch/jira-software-customer-chat

Like Geetanjali Sharma likes this
Geetanjali Sharma May 15, 2023

Hey @Liron , 

Thank you sharing the calendar. I have booked a slot for last Monday of this month. Hope that works for you!! :)

Like Liron likes this
Marcus Ebner July 24, 2023

Very cool new features, thanks! But still no threaded comments? Even a button that inserts a comment as a quote would help keeping conversations cleaner. I don't know any other modern collaboration apps that don't have a possibility for replying to comments.

Rohit Kumar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 7, 2023

Can I see the REST API structure for how the ordering of the pinned fields is handled
It'll be really helpful to understand the API flow
Thank you

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events