Changing your Cloud site name (url)

One of the most frequent Community questions for Cloud users has been "how do I change my URL site name". Historically, the answers to this inquiry were as follows:

• Free version - you cannot change you can only create a new instance with the desired site name
  • Standard, Premium, Enterprise - contact Atlassian Support and they can assist with this

As an admin, it was frustrating that you could not change this yourself.

The request for this feature has been tracked in JAC under this issue - CLOUD-7184 - More Easily Change Atlassian Cloud URL Domain among others.

Well it is now 2022 and we finally have the ability to change our site name! In Q421 Atlassian rolled out the capability to rename your site.

1EF0E4D7-802E-43C3-8A20-2B82A19DBD56.jpeg

As conveyed in the aforementioned JAC issue "renaming your site does not release the old name for reuse. When you update a site’s URL, [Atlassian] stores the previous URL in your site’s history to enable redirects". The reason for this is so that if anyone was to reference the old url the they would be redirected to the new url. What this means is that your old site name is still in use in the background. So, if your goal is to 'release' your current site name for reuse, this is not possible thru this new configuration option.

For details on how you change your site name please reference this article - Update a product url

B3C62664-C7B9-4DDE-B74C-79F42FD5C82C.jpeg

>>> FREE users - please note that you will not have access to this capability so you will have to live with the site name you created originally or creat a new instance and, if desired, migrate your old data. 

Important - Please note that you can only change your site name not the domain. We still are relegated to site-name.atlassian.net. The ability to support custom domains is being tracked under CLOUD-6999 - Allow custom domains for Cloud apps . This feature is committed and in progress but it will be 2023 (?) before it is delivered.

5 comments

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2022

Very informative, crisp and clear!!

Thanks @Jack Brickey 

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2022

Thanks Jack!

Alin Achim January 26, 2022

Who cares about the site name inconvenience. Allow me to put the site under my own domain already. This is ridiculous. You are marketing your products and brand towards my customers, in case you don't get it, I am potentially loosing customers towards you. Convenient right? 

Like Samet Serpil likes this
JocelynBarrera August 11, 2022

I've been in the same boat as many other Cloud users when it comes to trying to change my URL site name. I've followed the advice of creating a new instance with the desired site name, but it's been frustrating. However, It's great to see that ClearScale (https://www.clearscale.com ) is providing a solution for this common issue. Creating a new instance every time you want to change your URL site name has always been a hassle. I'm glad to see that someone has finally figured out how to change it, and I hope this information will be helpful to others who are struggling with the same issue.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2023

Thanks for the article, Jack!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events