Capturing the Correct Information on your Jira Software Team-managed Project Issues

Hello Atlassian Community!

Are you tired of chasing down your teammates for missing information on your team’s Jira Software Issues? From creation to completion, a team’s work item needs to capture important information throughout its lifecycle. Today, I’m proud to announce: team-managed project admins now have the ability to make fields* required upon issue creation.

How to get started

As you’re following along with the example, consider: what information does your team need to capture when an issue is created?

Let me introduce you to Acme, Inc: a fictitious e-commerce company that has 350 employees. Acme is gearing up to launch a new website and they have a cross-functional product team of eight individuals working on this project. Let’s take a look at how the team at Acme uses required fields to help them deliver the new website.

Emma joins the product team as a lead software engineer and familiarizes herself with the ongoing project by viewing the team’s backlog for the first time.

1. She first notices there are a couple of bugs the team needs to prioritize.

rf_1.png

2. Emma starts by organizing the backlog by dragging and dropping which pieces of work she thinks is highest priority. Driving revenue is important to the business, so she ranks the checkout button bug at the top.rf_2.png

3. After Emma finished prioritizing that bug, she reflects and realizes it would be helpful to classify the priority of each bug to ease the prioritization process as the backlog grows.

Emma checks with her team and the team agrees each bug should be assigned a priority. So she navigates to project settings, adds the priority field, and makes it required.rf_3.pngrf_4.png

4. She tests the creation of a new bug and notices the priority field is now required. Her and her team now save themselves the time of chasing down the bug reporter to understand the priority of each bug.rf_5.png

5. Emma also notices it’s easy to edit the priority of past bugs inline and is thrilled she didn’t have to open each and every bug.rf_6.png

6. Next, Emma wants to keep a close eye on all incoming bugs, so she wants to be assigned to each incoming bug. She does this by first navigating to the workflow editor, selecting the initial transition, clicking “Add rule” on the right menu bar.rf_7.png

7. She then selects “Assign an issue” from the rules list and then selects herself from the dropdown menu.rf_8.pngrf_9.png

8. Emma proceeds to save her changes to the bug workflow.rf_10.pngrf_11.png

9. All newly created bugs are now assigned to Emma so that she can immediately triage them upon creation.

rf_12.png

Pro Tips

1. Start simple and set up one required field, then iterate with your team going forward.

2. Use inline actions to save your team time when grooming the backlog.

3. Set rules to help automate and make your team's process more efficient.

How do you and your team ensure that the correct info is captured on each Jira issue? What rules or automations have you set up to make your team more efficient? Share below in the comments!

*The current default required fields include: Summary, Issue Type, Project ID and Reporter

12 comments

Gregory Kremer October 26, 2022

I apologize, but when the Rule option will become available? I've just double-checked and there is nothing like that in our Cloud-based Premium system.

Satya Nalluri
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 26, 2022

Gregory, Please note that you highlight the transtion, not the status, when you have the workflow open to see the rules.

Thomas OGrady
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 26, 2022

How is a current Field made required?

Gregory Kremer October 26, 2022

@Satya Nalluri Thank you for "explaining" it to me. Here is the snapshot to show you that this option is not available to me:

iScreen Shoter - 20221026180836743.jpg

Could someone from Atlassian answer my original question please? Does anyone in the Community have this option available in the Cloud-based system? Thank you.

Dieter Stalmann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 26, 2022

Gregory, I also cannot see it.

shimizu_jun October 26, 2022

I can do it on my team-managed project.

(maybe only team-managed project. )

sergei_lavrov October 26, 2022

Gregory, use automation in company-managed project instead.

Tobias H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2022

@Gregory Kremer  This is how it looks within a team-managed project on our Jira Cloud version:

jira-cloud-workflow.png

Elodie LAURAINE
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 27, 2022

Hello,

Priority is a good field to use. How we can order by priority in the Board of a team managed project.

We can in the backlog but not find in the board.

Can you help me ? please

Regards

Elodie

Gregory Kremer October 27, 2022

@sergei_lavrov That's not the point - I can use automation or Validation, or whatever else is available to me, but Atlassian has announced that the "Rule" setting option is now available in a workflow, and I want to know why it is no showing in my system. 

Again, could please someone from Atlassian explain to the Community why this option available to some and and the others?

sergei_lavrov October 27, 2022

@Gregory Kremer your screenshot is showing Company managed project workflow. This new rule feature is available only for Team managed projects. I wonder why they continue to develop team managed though, they are obviously less functional.

Gregory Kremer October 27, 2022

@sergei_lavrov You are right. But, truly, why would they do it for Team managed projects, but not for Company? That's beyond strange. But thanks for pointing it to me - I should read "small print" more carefully. But, again, who would have thought that Atlassian would introduce very useful option to  Team managed projects ONLY?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events