Be more productive: Pomodoro technique for the win!

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is safe and well in this trying times. 

I want to talk about Pomodoro technique and how you can adapt it to your teams in this article. 

Pomodoro Technique is a time management method where you work for 25 minutes followed by a 5 minute break. The name has an interesting story. Pomodoro means 'tomato' in Italian. When Francesco Cirillo, developer of the method, was a university student, he used a tomato shaped kitchen timer and therefore the name Pomodoro! I always find this story very inspiring because it reminds me the importance of simplicity and sometimes overthinking can be very limiting in our lives. The technique itself is also very simple and highly effective when working especially in our line of work.

Sometimes when we have to do something, solve a problem or accomplish an objective, it can be very overwhelming and we tend to procrastinate time to time. But when you break down your problem or objective into little pieces, you will find that it is not that hard as you may think it is. This is where Pomodoro technique comes in handy.

This is how it works:

1.  Choose a task.
  2.  Set your timer to 25 minutes.
  3.  Take a 5 minute break when the timer rings.
  4.  Every 4 Pomodoro, take a 15 to 30 minute long break.

That's all. 

So what are the benefits of this technique?

• It helps you focus deeply in a short time to an important task. 
  • It prevents burnout from working for too long.
  • It informs your co-workers that you are concentrated on a task and prevents being interrupted when you are focused.
  • It makes you more efficient since you start timing your tasks and see how much you spend on which task.

These are the most observed pros of this technique when you do a quick research on the internet. But who knows? You may discover whole new benefits for your work system when you give it a try.

Especially now, because of this pandemic, most of us are working from home. We are trying to adapt and discovering new challenges of working remotely every day. We are all trying to get things done in between online meetings. We can't deny the psychological effects of this pandemic and I personally find it very hard to concentrate on a task. We, as a team at Kod Gemisi, have been using this technique for a long time now and personally it really helped me to focus on the tasks that I have been avoiding for some time. That's why we decided to develop a plugin for Jira in order to adapt it to our daily lives more efficiently.

We present you Domat Pomodoro for Jira plugin. It is just for Cloud now but we are working on a Server version as well. It is a free plugin so you can install and start using it. Domat is a shorter version of the word domates which also means 'tomato' in Turkish :)

Selection_448.png

So how do we use this plugin? When you are working on an issue, all you have to do is click on the start button and your pomodoro begins. After 25 minutes you get a notification that your pomodoro is done. When a pomodoro is finished a worklog is automatically logged and you can change the details of the worklog if you like.

Another benefit of this plugin is that you can see which co-workers are in Pomodoro and which ones are not. This will help you avoid disturbing people when they are focused and also prevent others disturbing you. Also you can see who was online and active on Jira in the last 10 minutes.

domat.png

As I said, we have been using this technique and find it very helpful and hope this plugin helps you and your team to adapt to Pomodoro technique as well!

Cheers!

21 comments

Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2020

This is so smart! Especially seeing which of your teammates is "in pomodoro." 

I use a similar app for Trello, but if I was managing more of my personal work in Jira, I would download this is a heartbeat. :) 

vlad_puhach May 7, 2020

interesting technique! Never heard of it. Will need to give it a try)

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2020

Thank you! Hope you find it useful :)

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2020

I use this personally. I have Momentum Dashboard and this works great to ensure I'm taking breaks and focusing at sustainable intervals. 

Kris G _Alacriz_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2020

You made my day, @Elifcan Cakmak . I'll try to incorporate this as I don't always seem to find that 2 hours of deep work time. Thanks a ton :) 

best,
Kris 

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2020

Thanks @Kris G _Alacriz_ I hope it works for you as it works for me :)

Ed Delgado June 28, 2020

Looks great.   Hoping this come to the server/datacenter version, very useful and smartly integrated to bring the worklog down as you work on a ticket. 

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2020

Hey @Elifcan Cakmak , great article! I like the simplicity of the worklog approach here. Showing what other people are currently working on (down to the minute) is something I haven't seen tackled in other apps like this before and is certainly useful. Thanks for making this available!

JAVA July 16, 2020

Good free tool! I will discuss how to use on future in order to organize best our activities working in home office

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2020

Thank you all for great feedbacks. They make my day :)

Jocelito Wagner July 31, 2020

I am trying to install Domat Pomodoro for Jira in my cloud enviroment, but I just have this error message every time.

"We ran into a little trouble"

Bearcat M_ Şándor August 3, 2020

I'll have to wait for a server version to install it, but does this create a work log entry? I'd want something that didn't interfere with my existing work log timer (Automated Log Work for JIRA).

Zafer Cakmak August 6, 2020

hi @Jocelito Wagner we want to fix your problem. can you reach us from the support options https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222375/domat-pomodoro-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=support

you can email us or create a ticket

luisamaury8 August 14, 2020

Awesome plugin !! Sadly it doesn't work in my Chrome Browser.

image (1).png

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2020

Hi @luisamaury8 we will inspect this as soon as possible. Thanks for the screenshot.

Can you send an e-mail to elifcan@kodgemisi.com in order to communicate about the issue?

Thank you for your interest and compliment. 

luisamaury8 August 18, 2020

Awesome work and incredible response, now it works in my Chrome Browser.

image (2).png

Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2020

Hey @luisamaury8 we're glad to help :) happy domating :) 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2020

The concept behind this add-on makes me so happy. Its price doesn't hurt either! 🍅

vadard October 28, 2021

Error in all browser image.png

Kyle Bisley January 10, 2022

Has this app been removed? The links to it seem broken and my efforts at searching Atlassian Marketplace for it turn up no results. 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

@Kyle Bisley - yeah, looks like the app has been pulled. So sad!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events