Announcement: New Issue Create modal will be available to all customers starting 6th December 2021

Greetings Everyone!

I’m Arjoon, a PM in Jira Cloud. Earlier this year, we shared our current efforts to improve the Issue Create experience in Jira. One of the key improvements that we have been working on is a modernized Issue Create modal which looks and feels very similar to the legacy Issue Create modal, but is faster, scalable and more reliable and has some key improvements to the Issue Create experience. You can learn about the key changes here.

We committed to bringing this to our customers at the end of this calendar year and we are happy to announce that the new Issue Create will start rolling out to all customers starting 6th December 2021. As this is a key experience for our users in Jira, our rollout is going to be a cautious one so that we can closely monitor key stats and usage. We expect the rollout to be completed by the end of January 2022. So, if you don't see the new and improved Issue Create modal immediately, I request you to kindly wait till the changes propagate to your instance. 

Currently, the new Issue Create experience is enabled for when you try to create:

• In your Jira Software projects:
    • An issue from the Create button in the Jira top navigation bar
    • In your Backlog:
      • An epic from the Backlog view
      • An issue for an epic in the Backlog view
      • An issue in the Backlog when your Kanban board is empty
      • An inline for a specific sprint or backlog in the Backlog view
    • In your Issue View
      • An issue in an epic ticket
    • In your Issue Navigator
      • A linked issue
  • In your Jira Service Management projects:
    • A ticket from the Create button in the Jira top navigation bar
    • A ticket in the queue when the queue is empty
    • A ticket in the calendar view
    • A linked issue in the Issue View
  • In your Jira Work Management projects:
    • An issue in the List view
    • An issue in the Backlog view
    • An issue in the Calendar view
    • An issue in the Timeline view
    • A linked issue in the Issue view

*Please note that the Issue Create modal may not load for inline actions unless specific conditions are met.

The team is working to migrate the remaining trigger points to the new Issue Create experience and we hope to complete the migration by March 2022. We ask for your patience until then. 

Users may choose to switch back to the legacy Issue Create modal by going to Personal Jira Settings -> Jira Labs -> New Global Issue Create Experience -> Switch to the old Experience. 

The option to continue using the legacy Issue Create experience will be available for users only till 7th March 2022. Post this date, all users will be permanently migrated to the new experience. 

We sincerely hope that the new Issue Create modal will give our users more convenience, power, and flexibility in how they capture structured work content in Jira. 

Thank you!

The Jira Cloud Issue Create team

19 comments

Kamil Blicharski December 5, 2021

John Rocha December 20, 2021

Lost my vote and interest when I saw it appears to be another interface that forces/pushes the WYSWIG editor. Keep the legacy raw markdown editor for the power users, as well as providing managers the ability to use a WYSWIG editor.

Like # people like this
David Karchmer December 20, 2021

When I saw "New Issue Create model", I hoped you will finally fix the fact that the "create" form does NOT support proper markdown, while the "edit" does. It is silly what many of us have to do, which is to create an empty issue (title only)just so we can then create the "Edit" button so we can use real markdown.

This has to be the number one usability for Jira. We are all (or most) SW engineers here. Proper support of markdown is not optional...

Like # people like this
AJ December 20, 2021
David Karchmer December 20, 2021

> It says it supports markdown in the key changes link

I will believe it when I see it. So far, I do not see it. I believe they have always claimed "markdown" support but that markdown is not the same as the one when you `edit`. Most importantly, you cannot use "```" or "`code`" for writing code, and you have to use `*BOLD*` instead of the proper `**BOLD**` as two basic examples.

Like # people like this
John Rocha December 20, 2021

Hello @AJ

I did not comment on the lack of markdown support, I commented on the WYSWIG editor that is being forced on users (combined with the removal of the plain text markdown editor).

Specifically, from the link you provided, the feature that raises the ire of so many power users is this:

For those of you who prefer using markup languages, you can type or paste in markdown and we’ll convert it into fully formatted content as you go.

Like Jason M_ likes this
Stefan Ristics December 21, 2021

Hello,

i'm really unhappy with the new issue creation sheet.

- First of all, it lags compared to the one before which was fast. It Needs up to 4 seconds until the issue sheet has opened

- Screenshots can't be added by ctrl- v directly but have to be saved and than uploaded

- all my custom, self- added entry fields are gone!

- issue types are in english although language ssettings are still in another language

In addition, it's very annoying that the issue created- Pop ups doesn't disappear. There is no "x"- Option to close them manually.
Now i have always 2-3 pop ups at the left bottom of the screen.

Is there any way to let me and my company use the old sheet? You should give us at least the option to Chose...Right now, i tend to switch to another tracking system after approx. 15+ intense usage of Jira.

Regards, Stefan

Sara Ledger December 21, 2021

The new Jira view isn't yet available in our instance but I do have a question. Will this affect Jira/Zendesk integrations when creating new issues for Jira from Zendesk? Or just affect the Jira side?

Jeret Shuck January 4, 2022

Still not on my instance, but looking forward to the new features here!

sj January 6, 2022

I really hope will be supported markdown in create issue modal

Vincent DECAUX January 19, 2022

I can't select the new interface in my JIRA settings. Is it still possible?

But according to people, it's a disaster. Why is it so complicated to have the same view / form when creating or editing?

I am really curious why I am losing seconds each time I copy / paste a content from Confluence ("Hey, isn't it a software related to Jira ?!") to a new JIRA's ticket.

Hope to have some good news.

Like John Rocha likes this
Jason M_ January 19, 2022

I'd like to be as excited as Atlassian about the new Create modal, but it's disappointing to see they still haven't ack'd feedback re: the WYSWIG editor and taken this opportunity to address it. There remains a significant & vocal percentage of high-frequency users/teams continuing to request the plain text markdown editor be brought back. The loss of this mode has been a huge hit on productivity for teams processing high numbers of tickets that relied on markdown for their workflows (and reason enough for some teams to request moving off of the platform).

For the time being we're using the ?oldIssueView=true workaround, but I'm soon foreseeing another day getting bushwhacked by many exasperated & frustrated users after Atlassian surreptitiously 'disappears' another mechanism that made interfacing with Jira easier & more efficient for their teams. A review of these tickets demonstrates the impact & significance of this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72631
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-61738
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73508
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67395
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75613

Like # people like this
Hannah Stein January 26, 2022

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but my company seems to have the new create modal and I like it for the most part EXCEPT there's no longer a confirmation when I hit escape or cancel. The new issue just closes and everything is lost. So I accidentally hit escape when I thought I was focused on another window and lost everything I had typed for that case. 😭

Tested it by starting some new cases and putting in dummy data for a bunch of the fields. I can hit cancel or escape key and there's no confirmation for the destructive action 

François Dumas February 2, 2022

Hi!

Really happy to read this. 😀  This will be a really nice change for custom fields of type "Select List (multiple choices)" which were not really usable on the current create form.

This change has not yet come to our instance; is there a new revised date by which you are expecting to have rolled it out to all customers?  (the artcle mentioned "We expect the rollout to be completed by the end of January 2022").  I know this was only a few days ago, but we're very eager! 😉

Thanks

Like adam.jurkiewicz likes this
Alexandr Paliy February 2, 2022

Hi. Looks like I'm in a same boat as someone else here: I was googling around, trying to find "why do I have two different interfaces when I create task and when I edit task", and ended up here.

I'm fine with new interface (I suppose "new interface" is used for "edit" interface), but how can I enable the same interface for "create" option? Should I just wait, or ...?

Adam Charron February 8, 2022

@Arjoon Som I also can't seem to find a way to enable the create view, even in a brand new Jira cloud instance.

I'd have expected some communication if you guys decided to axe the feature.

We committed to bringing this to our customers at the end of this calendar year and we are happy to announce that the new Issue Create will start rolling out to all customers starting 6th December 2021. As this is a key experience for our users in Jira, our rollout is going to be a cautious one so that we can closely monitor key stats and usage. We expect the rollout to be completed by the end of January 2022

We are in February of 2022 and I still can't even enable it on a cloud instance (new or existing). So not only was the new issue view forced to enabled months before it the equivalent create view is ready (forcing users into 2 different editors), but that equivalent create page is still not even available to be tested or used, and it too will be forced out in March of 2022.

Kevin Palm February 9, 2022

Is it possible that CreateIssue.jspa has been forgotten? Here, the old editor is still being used...

When I create a ticket with the "create" button of the main menu.

But when I load the CreateIssue.jspa screen, then the old editro is still there. (my URL to this is https://<mycustomer>.atlassian.net/secure/CreateIssue.jspa )

Maxime Fafard March 10, 2022

Same issue on `CreateIssue.jspa` and the overlay modal: the editor is a simple textarea. The description field renders properly in all the other screens.

This issue has been there since a long time ago for us though. We have been using the new issue view for a long time.

Screenshot 2022-03-10 163809.png

Gil April 18, 2022

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events