Admins, notify your Jira instance of system-wide changes with the new admin announcement banner

Hi All!

We’re excited to share the launch of an announcement banner that lets Jira site administrators communicate directly to their users across their Jira Cloud instance.

📢 Get your announcements out

With the new "Announcement banner" page in Jira Admin, you can now set announcements that will be shown as a banner at the top of every Jira page.

asdsadassdsda.png

Step 1

Click on the Gear icon at the top right of the navigation and navigate to “System” under “JIRA SETTINGS”

endeavour-demo.jira-dev.com_jira_settings_system_ui_announcement-banner (2).png

Step 2

Find the "Announcement banner" item on your sidebar, under "USER INTERFACE"

endeavour-demo.jira-dev.com_jira_settings_system_ui_announcement-banner (3).png

Step 3

Configure the banner the way you want, you can:

1. Set the message of the announcement

2. Decide whether you want to disable or enable the banner

3. Decide whether your users should be able to dismiss the banner

4. Decide whether you want to show the announcement only to users that are logged in or to anyone who visits your Jira instance.

And voila!

endeavour-demo.jira-dev.com_jira_settings_system_ui_announcement-banner (4).png

When will this feature come to my instance?

We are gradually rolling it out to our customers, it should hit most users by November 2021

Can I add rich formatting and URLs to my announcement?

In this first release, we only support plain text. You can still include a URL, it will be shown as plain text. We've heard you and support for links and rich formatting will be added to our backlog for this feature.

60 comments

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2021

Nice, this will certainly be helpfull for admins if you perform changes to your configuration to communicate that "something has changed"

Will the announcement banner also allow the inclusion of an url? That would be particulary helpfull if you want to link users to for example release notes.

Like # people like this
Frédéric VAUTH October 21, 2021

Hello, 
Thank you for the feature we were waiting for. 
Is it possible to include a link to a Confluence page, a service Desk management space?

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2021

Hi all, you can most definetely include a URL it will be shown as plain text. Users can then copy and paste into a browser address bar. 

Like Gazaliy Alade likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2021

Hey @Vitalii Blinovskov ,

I think we were hoping for a clickable url :)

otherwise it would indeed just be part of the text so we that would be a given :D 

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2021

Hey @Dirk Ronsmans , thank you for your suggestion, this iteration will not support it, but we will note this when we do more work on the announcement banner. 

Like # people like this
Ignacio Pulgar October 21, 2021

Welcome back Announcement Banner! :)

Thanks Atlassian for bringing it back to life.

I also vote for it to support clickable links since a small message is expected to be added to the banner and you will almost always need to include a link to get more information.

URLs displayed as plain text might be too long, especially for non-dismissable banners, occupying a lot of screen space.

Hopefully we can somehow have links too! :)

Thanks again and best regards.

Like # people like this
Elliot Reiter October 21, 2021

Is tagging text for color, underscore, bold, etc. (like it used to be) available?

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2021

Thank you! We've been waiting for this for years. I hate to ask, but any chance it will be available in Confluence soon?

Like # people like this
Anthony De Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

@Vitalii Blinovskov - any chance this location will be available for plugins to hook into and display something there?

Like # people like this
Karen Rogalski October 21, 2021

I'm not seeing it in Cloud, are you rolling it out gradually?

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2021

@Karen Rogalski , the article mentions the following:

When will this feature come to my instance?

We are gradually rolling it out to our customers, it should hit most users by November 2021

Like Yerbol Nisanbayev likes this
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

This is brilliant 👍

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
October 21, 2021

Hey @Ignacio Pulgar @Elliot Reiter - thank you for your feedback, it will be just plain text for this first release, and we added your feedback to our backlog

@Anthony De Moss we did not make it extensible to external apps yet, however we do have requests to make it available in our backlog

Elliot Reiter October 22, 2021

@Yerbol Nisanbayev Thank you. Just having the announcement banner back in Jira Cloud is a big step forward.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

This is great ! Will it be shipped to Server/DC ?

Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2021

Hi @Antoine Berry , thank you. Server/DC should already have this feature as described below, we were just catching up to it in cloud :) 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-an-announcement-banner-938846985.html

Like vlad_puhach likes this
vlad_puhach October 25, 2021

Nice feature, good stuff!

Evert Morren C October 27, 2021

Is the also visible on the user portal?

Evert Morren C October 27, 2021

I mean the banner 

Edwar Gonzalez November 1, 2021

Hola como están, están hablando de jira el software?

https://urufinanza.com/banco-de-seguros/jira/

Like Antoine Berry likes this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2021

@Evert Morren C yes the banner should be visible in all Jira pages.

@Edwar Gonzalez the banner works with Jira Software and all other Jira products.

Like Edwar Gonzalez likes this
Lisa N November 18, 2021

This is great. I'd love to see the ability to have the banner on specific projects only.

Like # people like this
Alison Milne November 21, 2021

I agree with the pervious comment. This feature would be great on specific projects.

Like # people like this
Yerbol Nisanbayev
Atlassian Team
November 28, 2021

@Alison Milne @Lisa N thank you for your feedback, I am afraid we are not planning to extend the functionality at this point but this was noted in the backlog for when we decide to improve the banner in the future. 

Like Alison Milne likes this
Scott Fannen December 7, 2021

This is great to have this back again - but I'll also add a vote for the ability to add clickable links (writing "clickable links" is like requesting "readable text") - and any other formatting (line breaks would be nice - even using existing formatting like (backslash, backslash) would be nice too.

But still - thanks! - it's filling a HUGE gap in user communication.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events