Add an approval step using Jira Software and Work Management

This workaround is designed to assist Jira Software (JSW) and Jira Work Management (JWM) projects requiring an approval step in the workflow.

Before we start, allow me to share that Jira Service Management (JMS), offers a unique feature of approval steps that isn't available in other Jira products like JSW or JWM. The approval process is an integral part of service management and ITSM (IT Service Management) workflows, which JSM is specifically designed to handle.

In the context of JSM, the approval process is a mechanism that ensures certain issues (or requests) are reviewed and approved by the appropriate individuals or teams before they progress in their lifecycle. This is particularly useful for maintaining control and ensuring quality in processes like change management, service requests, and others.

The glad tidings is that we already have an item in our development backlog aimed at improving this as well:

•  JRACLOUD-62053 - As an admin, I would like to have the ability to add approval feature project workflow

Therefore, you can only add an approval step to workflows with an associated issue type that is being used by a request type. Learn more about request types.

Workaround steps:

1. First, create a Project role called Approvers.
  2. And add the desired members to the role (users who will act as approvers for the tickets)
  3. In the Project's Workflow, create a Status called 'In the approve step'.
  4. Add a Condition on the outgoing transitions from the 'In the approve stepStatus, called "User is in project Role".
    •  Some tips: You also have the option to include a screen with the 'Approvers' field during the transition to the 'In the approve step' status. This allows the engineer to select the necessary approver.
  5. Create two transitions, for example: Approved and Declined - to the 'In the approve stepStatus.
  6. So this Condition allows only the users in the role of Approver to perform the transition from 'In the approve step' Status to the next desired status (Approved or Declined).
    •  Extra tip: You can also create an automation rule to send an email notification to the approver, like this one below:
      • Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 13.48.21.png

Additionally, note that isn’t possible to add an Approve/Decline button by email, as this feature is exclusive to JSM. Remember that Jira itself does not handle incoming webhooks. You would need a middle service that can receive the HTTP requests and then communicate with Jira's REST API to make the necessary changes. This setup involves some development work (for the middle service) and would need to be hosted somewhere that's accessible from the links in the Jira comments. It also needs to securely handle authentication with Jira's REST API. Also, you may explore finding this information within the Atlassian Developer Community or consider searching for an add-on available in our marketplace that can assist you with this task.

Threfore, allow me to share some smart values to send customized notifications:

- `{{issue.key}}`: The key of the issue.
      - `{{issue.summary}}`: The summary of the issue.
      - `{{issue.description}}`: The description of the issue.
      - `{{issue.status.name}}`: The name of the issue's current status.
      - `{{issue.assignee.displayName}}`: The display name of the user the issue is assigned to.
      - `{{issue.reporter.displayName}}`: The display name of the user who reported the issue.
      - `{{issue.created}}`: The date the issue was created.
      - `{{comment.body}}`: The body of the most recent comment.
      - `{{comment.author.displayName}}`: The display name of the user who made the most recent comment.

To make sure that the issue is allowed to move forward (to the next status) only after the Issue has been approved, use the 'Previous Status Condition' in the transition.

Explore Workflow conditions: Configure advanced issue workflows

This workaround will work as in the screen recording below:

8 comments

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2022

Great article .. @Bruno Altenhofen 😀

Like # people like this
Leonardo Ferraro January 31, 2023

Great workaround! 

Like Bruno Altenhofen likes this
Ash Green March 6, 2023

@Bruno Altenhofen Thanks for this workaround. However, how would I add the Approve/Decline buttons to the email notification?

In our organisation we don't want Managers spending time logging into Jira, or navigating to tickets, we want them to be able to approve or decline directly from the email.

Like Tom Rufo likes this
Sherrie Brown March 21, 2023

I'm having the same issue. I can't figure out how to add the Approve/Decline buttons to email notification.

Ives.Laaf July 18, 2023

@Bruno Altenhofen this is kind of neat but I don't get a nice traceability like in service management - especially for work management this is kind of strange NOT to port the functionality of approvals from service management over... like the document management template etc. ... so i manually have to check transition history later on to see who approved a policy or other document - this is insane... sorry

as we have service management too I now have to rebuild the document management in service management to get some straight forward handling of the topics

Like # people like this
Brandon August 11, 2023

I realize that most users are looking for a native approval process in Jira, but based on my brief investigation, it doesn't appear that it will happen any time soon. It's worth noting that a new app Approval Path for Jira was recently released for Jira approvals, and it's free if you have less than 10 users. And, no, I am not affiliated with the app.

Ives.Laaf August 28, 2023

unfortunately, we are far above 10 users... so this is an expensive solution - and therefore not a solution

Peter April 17, 2024

Although you use approvers (plural), this solution can really only handle one response of approved or declined, correct?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events