A peek into the future: One workflow editor in Jira Cloud

Hello Community!

I’m Yuan, a Product Manager on Jira Cloud’s workflow team. We’re excited to announce that we’re working towards a single workflow editor by combining the team-managed workflow editor’s ease of use with the company-managed workflow editor’s power and flexibility.

We’re looking for admins and marketplace developers to help us make our workflow editor the best it can be. If you’re interested, join our focus group to work with our product team as we progress.

What does this mean?

Over the next year or two, the team will focus on feature parity between the two workflow editors. More specifically, we plan to add advanced features that currently only exist in company-managed workflows (like the advanced validator, conditions and post functions) to team-managed projects. In the end, the workflow editor in both team and company-managed projects will be almost identical, the key difference being that company-managed workflows can be shared across projects using workflow schemes. (Note: we do not plan to make changes to workflow scheme as part of this work)

Why are we doing this?

We heard that switching between two different workflow editors across two project types can be challenging, so we’re creating one workflow editor with:

• 🌎 The best of both worlds: Admins will no longer need to make the tradeoff between the easier-to-navigate UI in team-managed projects and the richer features in company-managed projects. You’ll have both.

• 🔄 Less context switching: With a single workflow editor, admins can better focus on what they do best: customizing Jira to suit the unique needs of their team and onboarding new users. No more thinking about which workflow editor works which way.

• 🌱 Better extensibility: Unifying our private and public workflow APIs unlocks more of Jira’s power to Atlassian Marketplace apps and further builds on our ecosystem.

What should I expect?

Our roadmap’s details are still being finalized, but here’s what you can expect:

• If you’re an admin of a team-managed project, look out for new features in the workflow editor.

• If you’re an admin of a company-managed project, there won’t be many changes just yet. Meanwhile, you can go to a team-managed project and familiarize yourself with the workflow editor’s UI to get a headstart on the changes.

• If you’re a marketplace developer, you’ll gradually receive access to more public workflow APIs.

Collaborate with us

Our team is very excited about building a better workflow editor that’ll power both project types and we'd love to hear your thoughts. As I mentioned before, you can join our focus group and work with us on building this new experience.

If you have questions, comments, feedback, or requests, I’d love to hear from you. Either drop a comment here or email me directly at yjiang@atlassian.com. And don’t forget to watch this page to keep track of any updates. We’ll make sure to add any important information here.

5 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2022

This is really cool to hear @Yuan Jiang!  I'm already in the focus group and I can't wait to hear more about this as updates are posted!

Like # people like this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2022

@Yuan Jiang - I really like the initiative to bring the two workflow experiences closer again - so that it's simple to use with powerful capabilities.

What I like even more that you're not only looking the Jira admins (Yes, they're important), but also on marketplace developers (Yes, I am one). It's a key aspect for us that we receive new APIs which match the new functionality so that we can develop our apps accordingly - that they fit into the new workflow ways.

Like # people like this
Rodrigo Angulo February 16, 2023

Hello @Yuan Jiang is it too late to sign up for this EAP?

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

I cant believe I did no join this focus group last year :) Thanks for this @Yuan Jiang  - looking forward to these updates.

@Rodrigo Angulo  I just signed up on this EAP from this post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Cloud-Admins-articles/Join-the-new-workflow-editor-s-Early-Access-Program-EAP/ba-p/2355335  

Like Rodrigo Angulo likes this
Rodrigo Angulo May 10, 2023

Thank you @Yatish Madhav !

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events