7 recent performance improvements in Jira Cloud

Hello Community!

We've heard you, our customers, about the need for speed. At Atlassian, the performance of our products is a top priority. Our engineering and product teams are continuously making improvements to ensure Jira Cloud feels faster and performs better.

Performance improvement is an ongoing journey, and we will continue to heavily invest in delivering a faster experience. With this Community post, we wanted give you a look at what’s happening under the hood and highlight how performance in Jira Cloud has improved over the last year:

• Viewing issues is now 1.5x faster

• Creating issues is now 2x faster

• Searching via Advanced Search and New Issue Navigator is now 1.6x faster

• Viewing team-managed boards and backlogs is now 1.5x and 2x faster, respectively

• Viewing company-managed boards and backlogs is now 1.7x faster

• Navigating through Jira Software is now 1.1x faster

• Loading dashboards is now 2x faster

Most of these performance improvements were achieved by tuning the front and backends. We optimized the frontend by doing fewer re-renders, virtualizing the UI, and loading resources and components on an as-needed basis. Additionally, we continued moving experiences under our single-page application framework. On the backend, we created new, tailored APIs and improved our database query parallelization.

Atlassian is committed to delivering faster and improved Cloud performance, and you and your teams will continue to see enhancements in the coming months and beyond. In the meantime, we cannot thank you enough for the continued support and look forward to hearing your feedback along the way!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Interested in the technical details? Read our blog about performance improvement in Jira Software's team-managed projects for the specifics: Performance for Jira’s team-managed projects just got snappier! 

13 comments

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2021

Hello @Jonathan Harrison ,

Thanks for sharing this. Good to hear some things speed up.

mom facing some issues with server latest patches as below.

I’m using 8.5.x without any issues for my production. 

I installed the below in my staging for some R&D related to plugins.

any 8.13.x or latest patches using almost 100% CPU usage, when I start Jira service or any plug-in installation, connecting market place.

my main concern is, when I start jira service, every time system thrown an error as Atlassian plugins startup  failed. 

I increased JVM to (6GB)

cleared plug-in cache

turned off antivirus 

the machine is with 16 GB RAM , i7 processor, 2 GB graphics, free space of 80 GB.

I tried with 8.13.5, 8.13.10, 8.19.0 in all scenarios system thrown the same error. 

Now I installed 8.19.1 without any plugins. If plugins not deployed. Starting jira service showing normal cpu usage.

if I deploy all these plugins like Adaptavist Script Runner, Configuration Manager, Automation for Jira. jira startup is failing and throwing plugin startup failures.

I don’t know it’s my hardware issues or some related optimisation. 

thanks,

kagithala babu Anvesh

Like meghna_singh likes this
Rachel Tang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2021

@KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH 

Thank you for reaching out! This Community post covers Cloud performance specifically. For more information on Server performance, I would urge you to raise a request with our support team: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Like Nikhil Kulkarni likes this
Narendra Kumar September 23, 2021

Great to hear this @Jonathan Harrison  . It'd be really helpful for our Jira cloud. 

Hoping to hear some more good things in future. Thanks!

Regards,

Narendra

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2021

Great news! Thank you!

Chandramohan Manohar September 27, 2021

Good news. I can experience the performance Improvement 

toni.d September 27, 2021

@Jonathan Harrison I experience slowness navigating Jira and simply viewing tickets when I'm sharing screen on Zoom. Have you noticed any correlation there? 

Mariusz Stróżyk September 27, 2021

Good job Jonathan and the team :-) 

Scott Fannen September 27, 2021

Glad to hear (and experience) the improvements.

Does this means that eventually we may be able to increase limits on certain functionality - like the number of gadgets on a dashboard - that may have been linked to past performance?

Maite Rodriguez September 27, 2021

Great to hear these improvements. In the past we've experience some slowness episodes with some browers.

Yogesh Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2021

@Scott Fannen At this time we are not exploring increasing the limits on certain functionality. We are investing in improving scalability of our APIs to return complex data shapes faster, but not yet increasing the limits. It’s something we can consider if we understand a bit more about the use case our customers are raising. 

Scott Fannen September 30, 2021

@Yogesh Singh The dashboard gadgets is an example - there's an arbitrary (probably) limit on the number on a dashboard (20):

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69218

which I bumped into when I was trying to do a dashboard showing a gadget for every request type we use in one service desk...then realised I had more request types than gadgets.

I'm guessing the limit (which I think is modifiable on Server but not on Cloud) was originally set years ago when things (in general) were a LOT slower.

Yogesh Singh
Atlassian Team
September 30, 2021

@Scott Fannen There aren’t any plans to raise the limit soon, since this change would directly impact performance. Your requirement is worthy and we will take it into consideration once we conclude our present efforts on improving the dashboard performance. Sounds ok?

Scott Fannen September 30, 2021

I wasn't expecting a quick fix but just bringing up the possibilities of increased performance - which can change design assumptions from years back.

And if someone is "silly" enough to make dashboards with very large numbers of gadgets, it's visually obvious why the page is taking a long time to load.

Thanks again.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events