It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

6 ways we've improved performance in Jira Cloud

Hello Community 🤗

I’m Nikhil, a Product Manager on the Jira Cloud team working on performance improvements.

Performance is an ongoing journey and we continue to invest heavily in it. We understand the performance of our products is mission critical for you and your teams to move your work forward. The goal of this community post is showcase some of the significant performance improvements we've recently made to Jira Cloud and to share what’s on the horizon.

Faster navigation sidebar, page transitions, and next-gen boards & backlogs

I’ll let the below videos speak for themselves, but over the past few months we've made some very significant performance improvements in Jira Cloud. 

The Jira Cloud navigation sidebar now loads 2x faster, meaning you can now get wherever you need to be twice as fast.

Jira Cloud’s project directory now loads up to 10x faster, making it smoother than ever to transition from one project to the next.

Next-gen boards load 1.5x faster and the next-gen backlog loads 1.8x faster, so kicking off your next sprint and moving issues into the 'Done' column will only take a fraction of the time.

We’ve also improved text searches - for example, JQL with text ~ by an average of 2x.

Better performance with hosting closer to you

We recently doubled our Atlassian Cloud footprint, launching new hosting regions in Sydney, Singapore and Frankfurt. This complements our existing regions in Dublin and the U.S. and allows us to host your site closer to where the majority of the content is accessed from, which will only further improve your site's performance. You can learn more about our Cloud reliability infrastructure here.

A continued focus on performance

There are a lot more exciting performance improvements on the horizon. For example, you may have caught our recent announcement at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference about the new Jira Cloud for Mac app, which is going to provide a lightning fast Jira experience right from your desktop. 

You’ll continue to see and experience performance improvements across Jira Cloud in the weeks and months ahead. In the meantime, thank you for your continued support and please keep the feedback coming!

10 comments

Nice to see you are working on performance improvements. It looks better, but still in compare of with server it's slower.

Just in last several months we got customers with cloud and they want migrate from Cloud to Server (one migration is done and second is planned).

Hi Nikil,

Thanks for sharing the updates with video.

one side question, can you please address my question

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/looking-for-end-point-to-pull-updated-comments-from-Jira-in-last/qaq-p/1115508#M355267

Thanks, Simha

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it looks like you've been optimizing the least frequently used parts. Other parts of Jira definitely need your work much more.

Some examples: 

1. the new issue view in Jira Cloud is awfully slow. Even worse than the already slow "old" issue view. All in all it is not usable,  first action everybody on our team does when visiting an issue is to switch to the old view.

2. Having fast loading boards is be nice, but I guess most users are not (re)loading the boards very often. At least that's what we are doing: we are moving issues around, doing edits, logging time ... and most of these actions are slow.

Would be great if you could do something about these issues. We've been using Jira for many many years, but with the degrading performance and the recent experiments to push badly implemented "new" features on us, we wouldn't decide again to use Jira, if we had the chance.

Hi Petr Vaníček [ACP @ CoreIT s.r.o.] 

I'd love to connect with you regarding your recent and current experience with your customers on moving between Cloud and Server - the process as well as your view on where performance is working well and not so well. 

Let me know if you're up for it and I'll come back to you with a way for us to connect.

Regards,

Jason Wong

Product Manager, Cloud Migrations

Hi Petr Vaníček [ACP @ CoreIT s.r.o.] 

Thank you for your comment. Good to see you’re noticing the performance improvements. We also recognise that we need further improvements and are actively working on those.

You can connect with @Jason Wong to share your experiences of migration to Cloud and how we can get better.

Regards,
Nikhil

Hi @Joseph Winkelbauer,  

Indeed, it is! Thank you for your comment.

Regards,
Nikhil

Hi @Ruediger Schmidt 

Thank you for your comment and the candid feedback. I truly appreciate it. 

Navigation in Jira was one of the top pain points highlighted by our customers and we’re happy to have made progress in that area. That said, we’re constantly working on improving performance of the other key experiences in Jira, like the Issue experience. We hope to make further progress on these in the coming months.

Regards,
Nikhil

Hi @Simha R  

Thank you for your comment. We’ll continue to work on providing a superior performance experience in Jira Cloud.

Your question has already been answered. Hope that is helpful.

Regards,
Nikhil

Hi @Jason Wong ,
yes, you can contact me.

Thanks

Petr

Comment

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Calling all Jira Cloud users! Give us feedback on our exploration of a new navigation.

Hi everyone! My name’s Matt and I’m a product manager at Atlassian. I work in the navigation & findability space for all our Jira Cloud products. We’ve been working on trying to improve the exp...

1,071 views 16 12
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you