Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create URL with smart values

Rob Peterson October 22, 2021

I'm trying to create a URL that will populate a custom field.  The URL remains static except for a variable that is contained within another custom field in the issue.  

I'm able to create url properly so that it shows in the log for the rule, however, in usage, the rule will fail with "Operation value must be a string".  Example of what I've used:

2021-10-22_153026.png

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rob Peterson October 25, 2021

I've altered the field type from URL to the standard text field.  The UI recognizes the text as a URL and automatically makes it actionable (i.e. user can click on to open new tab/browser for the URL).

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2021

Hi Rob,

What type of field is URL?

What's the relationship of the custom field value to the issue that it is connecting to? 

Can you share more about the rule? Type of trigger? Conditions? etc. 

Rob Peterson October 22, 2021

Sure, the field type is "URL".

Not sure I fully understand the relationship question... but the URL Custom Field (Custom Field 2 - destination) is a custom field in the issue where as Custom Field 1 (source) is in the parent.

Currently, the rule itself is on issue create.  The only condition is that is not an Epic or Story.  The Epic or Story would contain the information as the parent.  I'm currently able to successfully copy the field down to the child from the parent issue when it's going from the custom field 1 to custom field 1 place holders (ie. ChildIssue.CustomField1 is sourced by ParentIssue.CustomField1 on creation).  The rub is when I'm trying to create the URL.  I'm not sure if there is some special way since it's a "URL" type field instead of a "string" but the error states it's expecting a string...

Rob Peterson October 23, 2021

This may help:

2021-10-23_120201.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2021

Maybe if you experiment with a regular short text field type instead of a URL field type it might work. 

Like Dave Liao likes this
0 votes
bmccoy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2021

Hi Rob,

I've had a bit of a play around with the URL custom field and copying values from the parent, and everything seems to be behaving as expected.

It might be worth reaching out to our support team as it is possibly something specific to your setup.   We can then have a closer look at your rule and the logs to see what might be happening.

Cheers,
Brydie
[Automation for Jira]

Rob Peterson October 25, 2021

Can you share the rule here?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events