Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Custom Fields

Simon Miller May 23, 2022

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I don't seem to be able to use the custom issue fields I create for any filtering, grouping or on card customisations. As a summary of the scenario, we have a workflow that has one or more tasks created for customers.

We have "Customer" defined as a dropdown, with each customer as a selectable value.

On the "list" view, I would like to be able to group or filter by this custom field to be able to get an easy snapshot of the status of a particular customers requests. This doesn't seem to be possible - but seems a pretty big exclusion for a workflow management tool if it doesn't.

If this isn't possible, I'll struggle to it'll be a bit of a nightmare to get my users on board!

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

Hi Simon,

Yes, the List screen is limited in the fields that can be used for Filters right now. I would suggest you click on the Give Feedback button on the bottom left side and let them know you need/ would like this ability. 

Thanks, I've raised feedback on the list view and card view that we need to be able to interact with custom fields. Struggling to see the value of allowing us to create custom fields if we can't interact with them anywhere. 

Seems like a pretty fundamental limitation on the product.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2022

Yes, I agree. Hopefully, they are working on that functionality. 

You COULD create another board and use a filter that uses the same project as your business project and have that functionality. But you would not be able to access it directly from your JWM project. 

Like Simon Miller likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2022

Hi @Simon Miller ,

In Jira Work Management, in the List view, you can:

Filter by:

• Date range
  • Assignee
  • Components
  • Created
  • Issue Type
  • Labels
  • Priority
  • Reporter
  • Status
  • Updated

You cannot add custom fields.

Customize cards:

• Summary (default)
  • Status (default)
  • Key
  • Type
  • Assignee
  • Due date
  • Subtasks
  • Priority
  • Labels

You cannot add custom fields.

Hi @Dave Mathijs , thanks very much for the quick response.

I thought this might be the case - unfortunately in this instance it means the tool is completley useless to us and we'll have to look for an alternative.

What a strange limitation in a product that claims to be focussed on co-ordinating company work flow management.

Like John Funk likes this
1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 23, 2022

Hi @Simon Miller

just to add John's and Dave's answers: For an immediate solution to the filtering problem, you might want to try the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, and sorting and filtering by all your issue fields, including custom fields like the one that you described.

This is how it looks in action ("Assigned group" is a custom field just like yours):

custom-field-filtering.gif

JXL integrates into the project sidebar, so many of our customers found it a good addition to the native list view. It also works with any project type, including Jira Software or Jira Service Management projects.

Hope this is helpful,

Best,

Hannes

Simon Miller May 24, 2022

Thanks for the info @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira

Ho

Your product does look great, I do generally prefer to avoid paying for work arounds to pretty fundamental product limitations - in this case i can see that you're product does substantially more than that, but fills like a bit of overkill to just to filter a list by  custom field.

Licensing doesn't seem too bad, in this instance however. I assume the per user cost is based on the total number of users in our Atlassian workspace? 

Thanks,

Simon

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 24, 2022

Hi @Simon Miller

[JXL] does substantially more than that

Absolutely - JXL has a whole number of advanced features; e.g. you can bulk-edit issues using copy/paste, build custom issue structures (including parent/child relationships and grouping), inline-create issues within these structures, calculate sum-ups across sets of issues, and much more. Ideas and requests for more features are, of course, always welcomed!

I assume the per user cost is based on the total number of users in our Atlassian workspace?

Correct, Marketplace Apps are typically priced based on the number of users in your Jira site. You can find a pricing calculator for JXL here

Any other questions or thoughts, just let me know!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events