Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The create option disappeared from the New Items column of my board

Denise Pickering August 30, 2023

I recently noticed that the option to create a new item from the column furthest to the left has disappeared from the bottom of that column.   I still have the create button at the very top of Jira & I still have the create option at the bottom of my list view.  

In addition, I'm unable to drag and drop cards within a column in order to rank them how I'd like while in the board view.  

When I first created the board, both of these functions were working but have suddenly stopped.   I am the project admin so should have the ability to do both of these things. 

Thanks for any advice on how I can fix this! 

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2023

Hello @Denise Pickering 

Can you confirm the type of project with which you are working?

Is it Software, Work Management, or Service Management?

Is it Team Managed or Company Managed?

Denise Pickering August 31, 2023

It is Jira Work Management.  When I first created the board I had the ability to move cards within the column and there was a create button at the bottom left corner of the board.  Both of those suddenly went away! 

I'm not sure where to look to see if the project is team or company managed. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2023

The Team vs. Company information is displayed in 2 places:

- at the bottom of the expand/collapse panel on the left when viewing the project.

- in the Type column on the "View all projects" page (under the Projects menu)

I see the Create button at the bottom of the left most column and am able to reorder cards in both Team and Company managed Work Management projects.

Do you happen to have multiple workflows for the issues in your project?

Can you provide a screen image, and also point out one of the cards you are trying to move?

Denise Pickering August 31, 2023

Thanks for the tip!  It's a team managed project.  

I only have 1 workflow set at this time:Pasted Graphic.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2023

Can you provide a screen image of your board showing that the Create option is missing, and also point out one of the cards you are trying to move but can't?

Denise Pickering September 5, 2023

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 6.48.14 AM.png

Trudy, here is a screen shot from the bottom of my board.   I only included the first 3 columns since I didn't want to post company data.  I am trying to grab a card like the one you see in "this is a test" and move it up within the same "new item" column to help show it's higher priority.  I used to be able to do this in the board view and no longer can.   Thanks! 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2023

I have not been able to recreate your issue in my own Free environment.

Are you using a Free plan or a paid plan? If you are on a paid plan I suggest you have your Jira Admins reach out directly to Atlassian Support by opening a support case.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#

And it would be great if you could report back here what you learn.

Denise Pickering September 6, 2023

I was talking to a coworker and he suggested I open the board in Safari instead of Chrome.  That did the trick and my create button is back!  I'm also able to move my cards within a column again.  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2023

Hm, well that is odd since I am using Chrome.

Have you tried opening the board in a Chrome Igcognito window? Or clearing the browser cache in Chrome and then opening the board?

Denise Pickering September 6, 2023

I did NOT try that!   I just did and it seems to have fixed it now!  I can't believe I didn't think to try that first!  I'm all set!  thanks for your support! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events