Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprints in Jira Work Management?

Anita Wojtaś July 22, 2021

Hi Guys, I've been working with my marketing team on Jira Software. We love working in biweekly sprints with defined business goal to achieve.

I am now testing Jira Work Management and different types of projects, but I don't see any tools to start a sprint with defined goal within the ecosystem. Am I missing something?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Anita Wojtaś

Welcome to the community!
Unfortunately sprints exists only on Jira Software and not on Jira Work Management :)

Alex

Thanks for the answer, @Alex Koxaras _Relational_! And sorry to hear that as I see some awesome features in Jira Work Management.  Maybe we'll figure something out :) Cheers!

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Anita, a workaround will be (but it will require manual monitoring):

• Add the Epic issue type on your project
  • Create as many epics as you want with the "Sprint-" name conventions. These epics will act as sprints containers
  • Define start end end dates for these Epic/Sprints
  • Create either stories or tasks inside each epic
  • Create X versions which you then later release upon sprint end cycle
  • Monitor your sprints from the timeline

Will that work for you?

Alex

We'll test your solution, thanks @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ :)

Stephen Pinto January 1, 2022

Hi! @Anita Wojtaś @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ curious how it worked out for you guys here?

I wish that the work management view was built into JIRA Software or as an option vs a completely separate product. The combination of JIRA Software + Work Management views would be the ultimate tool.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2022

Hi @Stephen Pinto ,

Well, for me there wasn't a need to try this out. Did you try it? Is it handy, or not?

Anita Wojtaś January 10, 2022

@Stephen Pinto I've decided to stay on Jira Software Tool with my marketing team as we work in 2-weeks sprints and we need a clear view of the on-going tasks in the sprint.

Like # people like this
Stephen Pinto January 10, 2022

@Anita Wojtaś makes sense, thank you.

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ yes I wish that Jira had built this WM on top of JIRA software or at least made it an option. Or for WM to have sprints. Missed opportunity for companies which have teams closely aligned with software teams. Such as a Marketing + Web team. Otherwise a Marketer has to choose to use WM or JS but then still submit separate tickets to software team. 

Like Nikhil Kundra likes this
0 votes
Elisha_Smallcombe July 4, 2022

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ is there any plans to add Sprints to WM?

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2022

@Elisha_Smallcombe hi!

Not that I'm aware of. You could check this page https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?selectedProduct=jiraWork for future updates. However I doubt that they will include this in Work Management. :/ 

Nikhil Kundra April 9, 2024

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , why don't you think Atlassian's Product Team would enable the option to have Sprints in JWM?

As I mentioned here — TO ATLASSIAN:

We've been on Jira Software for over a decade and are used to two-week sprints.

Like @Stephen Pinto posted above, I firmly believe that Business Teams that are closely coupled with Software Teams need to be on a similar Sprint cadence with their Software Team counterparts to help:

1. Keep the goal and mission of each (e.g. two-week) Sprint front and center,
  2. Coordinate all aspects of completing a launch/release across all departments (i.e. with Marketing/PR, Sales, and Customer Success having important roles here too),
  3. Resolve a cross-functional Issue, or
  4. Achieve a cross-functional objective.

Jira Work Management seems to have so much better (more intuitive, Jira Product Discovery-like) UX that I know will help less-technical business team members flourish instead of feel frustrated or confused by the complexity of traditional Jira Software.

Sprint Planning in JWM, coupled with its more intuitive UX, would require less (ongoing) training and reduce the frequency of non-compliant adoption often found in Jira Software.

Thus, I'd like JWM to allow me the option to launch two-week Sprints for my Business Team (on JWM) that I currently launch on the same day (the first Tuesday) of our two-week Sprints for our Product/Engineering/QA Team on Jira Software—to align and coordinate all departments' and stakeholders' efforts.

As Stephen said: if JWM does not have the ability to run (e.g. two-week) Sprints, it'd be a "missed opportunity for companies which have teams closely aligned with software teams," and I fully agree.

Furthermore, any startup that has multiple people (esp. founders/executives) heavily involved in executing and overseeing/managing both Software and Business Teams' Issues ("wearing multiple hats")—which Issues all compete for those persons' finite time and bandwidth—would want to plan, commit to, and maintain focus (i) on resolving specific Issues they budget and (ii) on achieving specific Sprint Goals they aim for over a 2-week (or similar) Sprint.

This is especially true if those Sprints are budgeted, deduced from, and derivatives of Monthly Goals, Quarterly OKRs (Objective Key Results), and Annual Plans/Strategies to help achieve the company's Mission and Vision.

• Sprint Commits < Monthly Goals < Quarterly OKRs (Objective Key Results) < Annual Plans/Strategies < Mission & Vision.

If anyone has successfully set up, planned, and launched 2-week (or similar) Sprints with Sprint Goals and Sprint Commits in Jira Work Managment (JWM) without adversely affecting or complicating Epics, please let me know. Thank you 🙏 🙏 🙏

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events