Replicate Jira workflow

Mickey Loeb December 22, 2021

This issue is so simple that I am reluctant to ask, but I am stuck and need advice. 

I created an order fulfillment workflow to track the steps for each order.  My intention was to replicate the workflow template for each new order and combine all order workflows into a project where I can see the progress of all workflows.  I like Jira because of how it integrates documents and narrative descriptions into the workflow.

I was previously an IT project manager and so I can visualize how this would look using a project management system.   I tried to copy and deploy the workflow template but could not figure out how to do so and integrate it into a larger project or epic.  

I think my issue is simple and common so there are many of you that can offer assistance.  I appreciate your advice.

Best regards,

Mickey Loeb, owner

2 answers

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2021

Hi @Mickey Loeb 

I believe what you are trying to do is not consolidating workflows rather consolidating or aggregating progress from various issues/tasks at lower level in the hierarchy to upper level.

- In Jira there is a concept of sub tasks. It is only one level. Parent  - Sub task

- If you use Jira Software then there is also Epic - Parent - Sub task

- There is also a concept of Issue links, which can be used to represent relationship between issues.

For your requirement I believe with the combination of few Kanban boards, basic roadmap, few dashboard reports and bit of automation can be enough to show you progress at higher level. You can also look at apps like BigPicture or Structure to visualise the hierarchy and report at various levels. For purely Agile based project Advanced Roadmaps can also be used but that comes with Jira Premium.

I hope I was able to give you some ideas.

Ravi

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

Hi Mickey,

I am a little confused by your comments about replicating the workflow. You only need one workflow and each card that you create would be an order that flows across that same workflow. 

Am I missing something in your process? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events