Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People custom fields in Forms

Niels Kee March 29, 2022

I want to create a new People field to capture a user field in a form (different to the submitter, assigned or watcher), but when I create this field it doesn't appear as an option in the menu on the right hand side.

Custom fields of other types appear fine - it's specifically only the People type and doesn't work regardless of single or multiple selection.

5 answers

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2022

What you see looks to be a bug/limitation in the Form in a team-managed project that it cannot display people fields in the form. It looks like this can be related to this suggestion in JAC, JWMCLOUD-192

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2022

I would recommend that you use the Product feedback option on the left-hand side. The JWM product team is really good at getting back to you.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

You must add the field to the screen.

1. project settings > screens
  2. Find the screen for the desired operation like Create and click the screen name
  3. add your field to the list

afterwards you should be able to add to the form as desired.

Niels Kee March 29, 2022

This is a Business Project so doesn't have the screens option under the project settings, and seems specific to the People field type only.

Steps to reproduce

• Create new Business Project - I used Process Management template
  • Add a new field of type 'People' to Task
  • Add any other fields of other types
  • Create form for entry
  • Field of type people is not available for selection, others are
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

ok so this must be a Team Managed Project since Company Managed business projects do have Screens. Now I do not do much with TMP actually. I don't understand step 4 - Create form for entry. Can you explain so I might assess?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

By the way, I did a quick test in a TMP project, although it was software project, and added a people field. When I go to create an issue in the project the field does present itself.

Niels Kee March 29, 2022

Yes it's a Team Managed Project

Step 4

• Navigate to Forms menu
  • Create a form
  • On the right hand side where it mentions 'Drag fields to build the form', the custom field I have added of type People is not displayed

• Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 16.15.49.pngScreenshot 2022-03-29 at 16.16.08.pngScreenshot 2022-03-29 at 16.16.26.png
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

Oh, I see you are using the new Forms feature that was just introduced. To be clear when you add a field to an issue type it is not automatically available to any form that you might be building. In fact I'm not even sure if the People field type can be leveraged here. However, I'm not absolutely sure as I don't use TMP very much and I have used forms within TMP for sure. Here is some documentation you might wish to read please take note especially to section on Jira custom fields that are supported in forms.  Please note that this document seems centered more around CMP. I have not yet found the associated TMP documentation.

I will try to find out more information on this and get back to you if I am successful.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2022

Ok well thanks to @Mikael Sandberg for straightening me out. I had forgotten that JWM projects add a separate Forms feature vs. Proforma Forms whis actually is only currently in JSM. ugh...so confusing.

In any event Mikael indicated that he could replicate the same thing as you have seen @Niels Kee . So this is either a limitation of the forms feature or a bug. Based on the documentation link that I sent, which I believe is accurate, I expect this is a limitation. I might suggest that you reach out to Atlassian support for an official answer.

Like # people like this
Niels Kee March 30, 2022

thank you all - will ask the question and see what they say!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
Niki Woolston December 11, 2023

Also have this problem now - was there any resolution earlier in the year?

0 votes
Ida Giersing February 17, 2023

I'm also running into this same limitation – is there any update on this or any news of when support for this will get added to JWM?

Niels Kee February 22, 2023

I never got a definite resolution or commitment from Atlassian on a fix so went down a different path to resolve

Ida Giersing February 23, 2023

Yeah, I think I'll also need to go down another path while they improve the features in Jira Forms. 

Thanks anyway!

0 votes
Shannon McGregor February 15, 2023

Hi! Was this ever resolved?  Asking because I am running into the same limitation issue.

Niels Kee February 22, 2023

I didn't see any resolution while I was hitting this problem and didn't get much guidance from formal support, so instead had to solve my problem another way

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events