Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order management

Erica Hulings May 20, 2022

Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.  I am very new to JIRA and am looking for a took that my company can use for order management.  We have a somewhat repeatable process we use to implement our customers.  I was told that JIRA could be the tool we use, but not sure how to get started.  Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2022

Hi Erica - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you explain a little more about your process? 

Erica Hulings May 20, 2022

we get an order from sales force that has an expected due date for our product.  We then work through the process of getting that product set up those steps include 4 distinct teams that I would want each team to have their own tasks that we can track ownership, and delays.

the implementation team does most of the work.  They have weekly calls with the customer and project manage the work , They set up the user in the basic tools and have tech checks and trainings. 

Implementation notifies supply chain when we need to order the equipment with our vendor and track when it is ready and ships to our end customer

Tech -  they handle ensuring that the customers network is ready and works with our network.  THey are not involved in every order just some of them

Product - the provision some of the software for the devices

Hope this helps. :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2022

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I knew it might take some time.  :-)

First, yes, Jira can do this. You can use a Jira Work Management project for the front end to implement a form if you like to receive the "order". 

Then you can have a workflow that represents the steps in the entire process of the order being received, process and ultimately fulfilled. Along the way, you can create additional cards if you like for the separate teams (especially if they are working concurrently) and those cards can be created in separate projects (Jira Software if you want or just another Jira Work Management project). 

One way to do that is to create an Epic to represent the Order. Then create cards to walk through each of the functions/teams as just mentioned. That way you can see the overall % complete for the order as each tasks is closed out. 

You can create custom fields to capture the unique details of our order process as well. Cards can be assigned to folks along the way, and as they complete them, you can use automation to spin up new cards or perform other functions, such as setting due dates, assignees, etc. 

I hope that encourages you to give the product a go and see how it works for you.  :-)

Erica Hulings May 23, 2022

John, this is great news.  I am pretty new to JIRA< do you know if there is a group I can reach out to that can help me set this up and trial it?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2022

This is as good a place as any.  :-)

Do you have your requirements defined enough to get started? 

Erica Hulings May 25, 2022

i have a process and a smart sheet we use, is that enough?  

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2022

Let's say yes  :-)

ok... then what are next steps? :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2022

You have to share that so I can give you some feedback. 

got it. I will reach out tomorrow and share our smart sheet and see if you have any ideas.  Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2022

Sounds good. 

uttara_vaidya July 20, 2022

@John Funk I am experienced in JIRA software but very new to service management. I am looking for a tool for "order management". Do you recommend one vs the other when it comes to order processing? Earlier in the conversation chain you mentioned we could use both JIRA service or JIRA software but wondering whether its worth learning service management since it might have more order related features that I am not aware of since I am new. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2022

Hi @Erica Hulings  - Did I ever respond to you and help you? I was switching projects about that time in my previous work and your email might have gotten lost.  :-(

@uttara_vaidya  - They are very similar for their operation, but Jira Service Management gives you more robust forms for collecting data right now as well as queues as it is intended for helpdesk types of teams - which would probably be more like order management. 

@Stacy Bradshaw  - Did you ever make any progress with your idea?

0 votes
Stacy Bradshaw May 20, 2022

Following as we are also interested in using JIRA as an order management system, if possible (without having to create a new "user" for each of our clients?)

uttara_vaidya July 20, 2022

I am having the same challenge - using JIRA for order management. I am experienced in JIRA software but new to order management type processes. Were you able to find a solution to this? Thanks! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events