Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help adding epics and initiatives to projects

Nikki_Floyd May 26, 2022

Hello.  I’ve created the initiative issue type and have added it to the issue type scheme. I’ve also added the epic issue type to the scheme. 
Hat we want is

initiative

epic

story / task

subtask

When I try to create a child issue(either story or task) in the epic the new issue is created but it is separate from the epic. 
‘When I create an initiative I do have the option of creating a subtask and that is nested inside the initiative. But that is not what we want. 

2 answers

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2022

HI @Nikki_Floyd 

Welcome to the community.

Question: Are you using Jira premium/Advanced roadmaps to set-up this 4 tier hierarchy?

If not, all your Initiative is, is just another "standard issue type", like Story or Task. So you still only have the 3 tier set-up of Epic/Standard issue types/Sub-task issue types.

Nikki Floyd May 31, 2022

Hi Curt

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we are using Jira cloud premium/advanced roadmaps and I am a global admin. 

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2022

Are you trying to do this in Jira work management projects? or Jira software? Team managed or company?

Also, can you show/describe what you have done so far and where you are stuck?

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2022

You need to use the Parent link field (from Epic to Initiative), so having it available on your Epics is key.

Check this out: Configure custom hierarchy levels in Advanced Roadmaps | Jira Software Cloud | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Syed Jarrar Naqvi May 26, 2022

You can edit story or task and add epic link

Nikki Floyd May 31, 2022

We're looking for a way for this to be set up properly for ongoing day to day work.  Not as a work around.  I know that this is possible since I saw and followed the instructions online for how to set up up.   Just not sure why it's not working for us.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events