Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking external "How To" documentation to a Jira Work Management Issue Type or Workflow

David Reynolds March 25, 2022

I understood that Confluence would allow me to link "How To" documentation to my Jira Work Management issues or projects.  I have not found any information confirming this or describing the procedure.  If this is possible, I am interested in the process.

In essence I have documented a standard procedure to complete each step of what is now an entire workflow for an issue type within Work Management.  I would like to complete one of the following:

1) Add an individual instructional document to each step of the workflow within the issue type,

2) or add an instructional document for the entire procedure at the issue type level.

2 answers

1 vote
Ron Levy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2022

@David Reynolds Thanks for your note. This is a really interesting use case - let me share with our team and they might be in touch further. In the meanwhile, in addition to the suggestion above, you can use the "Add shortcut" link on the left menu as well, to link the relevant documents.

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

In order link an issue to a Confluence page you click on the drop-down menu next to Link issues if you are in the detailed view of the issue

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 2.07.08 PM.png

If you open the quick view of the issue you just have to click on the link icon and that will give you the same options.

Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 2.08.33 PM.png

Dorthey Sabertl March 27, 2022
If you open the quick view of the issue you just have to click on the link icon and that will give you the same options.
David Reynolds March 28, 2022

@Mikael Sandberg and @Dorthey Sabertl Thank you for your response.  I am actually looking for a more automated method, rather than having to repeatedly link each step of each issue to a Confluence page.

To better clarify my question, let me provide you more information.  I am asked to perform several multi-step tasks/issues (scenarios).  Each of these scenarios is repeated frequently over time.  In hopes of standardizing the procedure of each step within each scenario, I have documented a "How To" help guide for each of these steps.  I have also created a "workflow" within Jira Work Management.  Each step within the workflow represents a single step of a scenario.  My desire is to link an individual "How To" document to each workflow step.  My thought is that linking the document to the workflow steps would prevent me from having to manually link each document to each step every time the scenario is repeated.

I envision a process whereby when an individual transitions a task/issue from one step within a workflow to another step, they are presented with a link to a document that provides instruction on how to perform that step.  Once they transition to the next step of the same workflow, they are presented with a different link, providing instruction on how to perform the second step.  This process would repeat until the entire workflow was completed.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

If you want to link pages based on the workflow status you can do that using automation. It should be a fairly easy automation to set up/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events