Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link a task to a customer

Greg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 19, 2023

Dear community,

I am trying to better understand some things that look basics to me :-) and i dont see why it is not implemented into Jira Work Mgmt.

We are a company who takes care of companies information systems. Therefore, we would like to link tasks to customers. 

When creating a task, one cannot assign a customer. Thanks to that I could have dashboards per customer in order to know what tasks we have to do.

One can potentialy add "organization field" but that particular field is tight to Jira Service Management and thus, is not populated in JWM.

I had a chat with the support and they told me to use labels. Is that just it ?

Noone in the community needs to link tasks to a customer ? Like one can link tickets support to an organization in ITSM

Sorry if this is stupid ;-) 

Looking forward to your feedbacks.

Greg

1 answer

0 votes
Giovanni Melai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2023

Hi @Greg,

In Jira Work Management there is no concept of customer but you can define on your own which functionality to use to define a customer. 

I can give you a bunch of options:

• You can use Labels, as support suggested, but I don't like that much as an option because anyone in Jira can create a new label by mistake, like mistyping the name of the customer. The good of this approach is that labels are updated for all Jira projects
  • Another option is to use Components that are kind of similar to Labels but the good part is that they must be created by a Project Admin and Users will only be able to select them in the Issues. If you use multiple projects this is not really a good option because Components are project-based, so each project can have different components, this means that you need to create the same Components in all the projects where you need them
  • Another approach is to use a Custom Field (Select List [single choice])in this case you can create it with the name you want (like Customer) and add the list of customers to be selected by the users. The downside of this is that only Jira Administrators will be able to update the list. If you are using multiple projects you can reuse the same field for all of them.

All of those can then be used in filters to create Dashboards.

I hope this helps

Greg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 20, 2023

@Giovanni Melai , thank you very much for the time spent on this answer.

I understand everything you said; however the overall concept to properly manage customers is not clear ... :-) 

I guess I need to dig more into the documentation and/or examples.

Giovanni Melai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2023

Welcome 🙂

Let's say that the main issue is that the concept of "Customer" does not exist in Jira out of the box so you need to define it. 

I hope this clarifies a bit

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events