Job Number / Random Number / ISO9001

Kale Bullen July 22, 2021

Hi,

We have recently started our ISO certifications. Something that we are looking to implement across the board in our company is something like a "Job Number" per project we do to track everything about this project across all our platforms. All the way from the Quote phase through to procuring goods to invoicing to project tickets etc...

So I got thinking about how can I make this happen in Jira Cloud.

I was thinking could I create a new custom field and have it auto-populate with a random number. But only have this custom field on a particular task type this way I would not have random number on all tickets just on the tickets I need them to be.

Thoughts anyone?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

It is not clear what this job number is for - you talk about "per project", but then start saying you want one on individual issues?

I do not understand what benefit a random and unique id would add.  I understand you want to refer to it in other systems and places, but I don't see the advantage of not just using the existing Jira keys if that's where you would be generating the job number (if job numbers are project things, use the project id.  If it's by issue, then use the issue key!)

Kale Bullen September 5, 2021

Hi Mate, a very delayed reply. But we got caught up with client projects. I decided to take a different route.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events