Jira Work Management issue reassignments

Eva Tsalkitzi May 26, 2023

Dear Community Help!!!

I need to make JIRA do the following for me:

Each issue I register as a reporter, I initially assign to a person.

When this person performs his/her work, they re-assign the issue to a different person (already defined in the team), to test/decide/review/withdraw/accept. A new child record (task??) is created for the new person, to record the work done.

When that person completes what needs to be done, he/she re-assigns the issue to another person to review/accept etc. Again a new child record (task?) is created for the new person

This may happen as many times is needed until acceptance/withdrawal/closing.

At all times everyone can see all comments entered by all people collaborating in the issue.

At at all times it is visible by everyone what work has been done on the issue and how many reassignments have occured up to now.

How can these manual re-assignments work in JIRA?

Thanks !

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

HI @Eva Tsalkitzi 

My first question is why are you creating a new task every time it is assigned to a new person? That's a lot of extra work and issues that flood the system. Why can't the issue simply be reassigned to the next person and they continue working on the same issue as it moves through your workflow? 

Hi John,

Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I need to do. Have the person who currently works on an issue, directly assign it to another person.

Can this be easily done?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

Sure that is very easy - they should be able to just change it to the other person (assuming they know who that is). They will need to have the Assign Issues permission in the Permission Scheme if they don't have that already. 

Like Fazila Ashraf likes this
0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Hi @Eva Tsalkitzi 

Have you looked at using subtasks for this use case?

You can setup an automation that creates a new subtask when there is status change on the issue or on assignment of the issue.

The comments could be viewed in the subtasks directly or make an automation to copy the comments from the subtasks to the parent.. 

Thank you Fazila for your response!

I look for the easiest way around this.

Can an assignee directly assign the issue to some else (choose from a list)  when they change the status of the isue?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events