Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Work Management - Board with items from multiple projects

Maurizio Papa May 4, 2021

Hello,

I'm trying out Jira Work Management for our Communications team.

I'm used to using Jira Software and in that platform I use some boards to manage items from multiple projects, defining a filter that includes issues from all the ones I need.

I have not found this option in Jira Work Management.

Our team manages several project at the same time and it would be useful to use that.

If that's not possible, what are the best practices for managing issues in multiple projects?

Do we need to use Jira Software?

Maurizio.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

Hi @Maurizio Papa ,

You can create a board and use a filter that includes multiple projects - including JWM projects. It does not have to be a JWM board. 

Create your filter as you like - something like: Project in (ABC, DEF, 123) order by Rank

Be sure to share the filter if the board will be seen by people other than you. 

Then create a Kanban board based on an existing filter and choose the filter you just created. 

The only trick is the Location field - you select Your Profile for that or one of the projects in your filter, if one of them is a Company-managed project. If they are all JWM projects, then you would need to use your profile for the Location field or another generic Company-managed project (which is what I do in those cases). 

The cards/issues shown on the board have nothing to do with the Location - only with the filter, so the Location is kind of a non-issue. 

Then modify the columns as you want. 

Maurizio Papa May 6, 2021

Hi @John Funk ,

thank you for the answer.

Creating a Kanban Board is not possible, though, in JWM projects, is it?

That means I'd have my team to register both Jira Software and JWM and then use a Jira Software Project to add a Kanban with a filter that includes also my JWM projects.

That is what I actually did, but I was wondering if there was a way to do that with JWM alone.

Thank you!

Maurizio

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Ah, yes, if you just have Jira Core installed, then you will not be able to add another board. But you might be able to get a Free version of Jira Software and it would work? 

No, there is not another way to do it solely within a JWM project at this time. 

Maurizio Papa May 6, 2021

Thank you: it's exactly what I did; I activated both Jira WM and Software.

Like John Funk likes this
Sarah Daily March 11, 2022

@John Funk I've tried to do this with a company-managed software project in Jira software and pull in Jira WM projects but they are not being recognizedScreen Shot 2022-03-11 at 1.38.42 PM.png

Sarah Daily March 11, 2022

when I use the basic filter, it only searches for projects in Jira software

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2022

Hi @Sarah Daily 

How are you creating the filter? Can you give the exact steps? 

Michel van Linschooten
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 8, 2023

This filter should do:

issuetype in standardIssueTypes() AND projectType = business ORDER BY Rank ASC

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
hobweger May 4, 2021

Hi @Maurizio Papa, to my understanding, JWM views don't let you do that (yet?). Is having a cross-project board view a requirement for you, or could other (interactive) issue views also work, if they are able to pull in issues from different projects?

Maurizio Papa May 4, 2021

It doesn't have to be a board... although a board would be the best I think.

But if there are other ways, I'm open to try them out :-)

M.

hobweger May 4, 2021

In this case you may want to try https://jxl.app. It gives you all the benefits of a full-fledged spreadsheet view, but is powered by JQL, meaning that you can pull in whatever issues you'd like to see, from any projects and project types.

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 3.58.26 pm.png

(Disclaimer: I work on JXL :))

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events