Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Insight counting licences

John Matrix August 17, 2022

Hi all,

I'm implementing Jira Insigt as our main CMDB. We also want to track licences eg. Office 365 licences, Confluence, ... licences there and link that with users.

the question mark I have is: what is the best practice to do so, especially with the counting of (free) licences. 

What I mean is, I have 215 Office 365 licences, 203 used and the rest free, how can I track that? Do I ceate 215 Office 365 objects and add link that with the user or do I add an attribute to one item and use automation? 

I would really appreciate some imput from someone who is using that, so I can start with the right path 

Thanks, John

1 answer

0 votes
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Hi @John Matrix , 

As you want to track assets, you usually would track every licence as an object, as every licence is 1 asset. 

I would create every license as an object of type "Office 365 license", with the key, a status (Used / Free) and the user. 

This way you can easily search, have history and dates for every license and use the specific license using JSM if there is a problem. 

However for every specific situation, a different approach could be used.

Hope this helps. 
Please let me know if you have more questions about this. 

- Tessa

John Matrix August 18, 2022

Hi,

sounds plausible. 

How would you proceed with licences that are reduced, eg. I reduce the licences. Should I mark them as "reduced" or should I delete them?

Have you heard of any other situation where an other aproach was used?

many thanks

John

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

Hi @John Matrix , 

I'm assuming you mean de-activated? 
I wouldn't necessarily delete assets, but give them a status of inactive or de-activated so you keep a trace for the future. 

- Tessa

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events