Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a limit on user access role?

arsen.davidson December 6, 2021

Hi, 

just wondering if there's a limit on role we can create through the project settings -> access -> manage role or via bulk created via API.

Can we create more than 500 role? thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2021

Hey @arsen.davidson 

I don't believe there's an enforced limit, however you may notice an issue with performance and/usability (end user and/or administration) with such a large number of roles. While you may have > 500 roles (by title) in your organisation, I would absolutely recommend trying to make much more generic role classifications in Jira. We run a very large environment with "only" 55 roles, and that's way too many in my opinion.

If you can give any insight in to the problem you're trying to solve with the 500 roles, you may get some feedback on other approaches that scale better.

CCM

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2021

Have to agree with @Craig Castle-Mead as 500 plus roles in Jira does not sound like a good idea to me.

One thing to consider is, you don't want or need all the roles of the company loaded into Jira. Think of Jira roles as a way of easily designating appropriate permissions in Jira projects. See: Manage project roles | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events