Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration JIRA Software with JIRA Work Managment

Wanda Gomes Antonio January 13, 2023

Hey guys I going try do define some poits to setup to use this software, I really appreciate if some one help me here. 

Basically..my company is a startup with 20 employees. We produce a product that is divided into hardware and software, so we want to control the tasks of the DEV team and the production team (basic level, just visualize and get an idea of ​​deadlines and tasks, nothing too complex). For the DEV team we are already using JIRA SOFTWARE, but for the Production team I am thinking of applying JIRA Work Management. But the question is whether I will be able to see all the tasks in both JIRAs on just one screen? (JIRA integration?). How do I link these two areas and everyone can see each other's progress and be able to interact between the areas.

some points to consider, 

**software and hardware tasks are performed by different teams.

**Teams are not cross-functional. But there will be interaction between them, as a process of day-to-day routines of departments.

**A Jira Project represents a project for a product, where the objective will be to ensure that the tasks to develop the product are managed. In other words, the objective is to manage the actions that will lead to the delivery of these products, focusing on two major areas (software development and hardware production)

** Problems are basically designed to be cross-type.

**this workflow example (To Do > In Progress > Done) would work (but the DEV team uses Scrum methodology and the rest would use Kanban, I don't know if it would make a difference)

** I'm going to follow the recommendation on the project managed by the company and try to run some tests however, but if some one can give me a hand on how I would go about setting up a project like this?

I'm totally lost here. Thank you.

6 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2023

Hi @Wanda Gomes Antonio 

I noticed this question just as I was posting on your other question!

Posting my response here also!

---

You'll need to consider your own internal processes, alongside each team's needs, when deciding how to structure Jira.

Originally, I was going to send you a big list of things to consider - the difficulty is though that we don't know how your company is structured, nor what reporting/visibility is important to you.

I also think you should start simple. Get the teams using Jira, and iterate/evolve the designs as you go.

---

What I would do is...

• Get together as a Team, and map out the end-to-end flow of work within your company - from creation/ideation, through to completion.
  • Clarify what information is important to visualise in Jira - for example...
    • What categories of work are there? These would be Issue Types - for example, Story, Task, Bug, Spike, Risk, etc
    • What Statuses (stages of work) are important to track? For example, To Do, In Progress, In Testing, etc
    • What Field data should you track? For example, Dates, Estimation, Acceptance Criteria, Assignee/Reporter, Team, etc
    • Are Permissions important? Should delete be turned on?
    • ....etc
  • But I'd also clarify how you want to work together - for example...
    • Define what each Issue Type will represent
    • Will all Tasks be separate, or could multiple teams work on the same Story?
    • How will Teams visualise their own work on a Board - using a Field? Label?
    • How will you come together as a company and visualise progress?
    • ...etc

The important point here is to try and decide on some key factors to help setup your Jira instance. You can always iterate/evolve it in future - so I would start simple and mature from there, as you also grow your Atlassian Administration experience.

---

Note: Atlassian has very extensive, rich documentation to help you setup your Project - I would strongly encourage looking at it to help you on this journey - see: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/resources/

---

Let us know what you think!

Ste

Hi Ste, 

I believe your explanation was exactly what I needed, now I have a clearer view of what I should do for this implementation. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of not only JIRA, but the processes. Thanks!!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2023

No worries!

If you do have any further questions, please do post them on the Community - we'd all be very happy to help :)

Ste

Like Wanda Gomes Antonio likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2023

Hi Wanda, welcome to the community!

From what you have provided here are my initial thoughts. 

1. Create a dashboard that presents a high level of you off all activities, hardware and software and operations if appropriate. This will give a high-level view and users can drill down from there if needed.
  2. Create a kanban board that captures both the software project and the JWM project. The board might look something like this:
    • When creating the board you can choose to use your profile as the location.
    • board filter - Project in (abc, xyz)
    • Columns - To Do, In Progress, Done (map the statuses from both projects to appropriate columns)
    • Add a shortcut to the board to each of your other projects if desired. This will allow either team to get to the Master board easily.
    • Be sure to share the board so others can see it as appropriate

Let me know if this makes sense.

Hi Jack 

Thanks for the reception! it's really great  to count on this platform.

I understood the idea of a dashboard, I had already read something about it. But in my understanding a when would help me just in the visualization, and I would like to be able to access and edit the task status in real time.

for example: I plan to hold weekly alignment meetings with the DEV team and the Production team (factory) and show them how one activity stacks up against the other.

If we have a problem with manufacturing a processing board in production, the DEV people will be impacted by the deadline as there will be no material to test the software on the hardware. so this status update, I would like it to be in real time in meetings, hence the need for integration in order to be able to edit.

But I will test your suggestion and see if it works for the team.

Tks! ;)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2023

For that use case I definitely would go with a master kanban board.

3 votes
Dhiren Notani_Exalate_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Wanda Gomes Antonio ,

As you want an integration between Jira Software and Jira Work Management, I would recommend you to use an issue sync solution like Exalate in this case.

Once you create an integration between the software and hardware products, you can synchronize issues and the fields within those issues (Like for ex summary, desc, statuses, comments, custom fields etc etc).

The best part is that the statuses can be different for both sides, and you can map the workflows one-to-one with the tool.

A link will also be maintained between between the linked issues for traceability.

The integration can be bidirectional so that any update from the DEV team can be seen on the other side and even vice-a-versa.

With the script mode provided by Exalate, you can enjoy ultimate customisability and flexibility with total control over what data you are sharing and receiving.

Thanks, Dhiren

0 votes
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 21, 2023

Hey @Wanda Gomes Antoniothanks for the question. This is Umer, PMM for Backbone Issue Sync for Jira.

Jack and Stephen provided some awesome suggestions, and that is the way to go if you want to map everything out manually and use Jira automation to link your Jira software with JWM.

But in case you want to automate the entire process, an issue sync app such as Backbone Issue Sync for Jira would be a perfect fit! 

Your production team and development team can automate syncing of Jira issues, custom fields, attachments, comments, etc., between Jira and JWM using Backbone. The different workflows between your teams (To Do>In Progress> Done with Kanban/other workflows) can also be simply mapped.

And your teams can use a JQL label to choose which Jira issues to sync across the instances without ever leaving their own Jira projects.

In case you're interested in discussing your particular use case, feel free to schedule a free demo or try Backbone for free for the first 30 days!  

0 votes
Mika Nagaya
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2023

Hi @Wanda Gomes Antonio,

Thank you so much for your participation in the Atlassian community!

Did you end up adopting Jira Work Management in your organisation? If so, you may be a candidate for an upcoming customer research study! We are doing further research on customers who use both Jira Work Management and Jira Software, and we would love to invite you to take part!

What’s involved in the research:

• Sessions are 1 hour and conducted over video-conference, so you can participate from anywhere around the globe.
  • During the research, we'll start with a general chat to get to know you, then ask some questions about your experience using both Jira Work Management and Jira Software.
  • As a token of our appreciation, you'll receive an e-gift card worth $100 USD within 5 days of completing your session.

If you’re interested and would like to participate, please take this short survey https://www.userinterviews.com/projects/_EGjxvzWRA/apply. (Alternatively, you can refer anyone who you think might be interested in the study!)

If you’re eligible for the study, we will reach out to schedule a time that is suitable for you.

If you have any other questions at all, feel free to email me at mnagaya@atlassian.com. We look forward to meeting you!

Cheers,

Mika

Agile and DevOps Research

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 17, 2023

@Wanda Gomes Antonio  hi! Agree with the answers provided by Stephen & Jack. Just want to add another alternative, in case you'd like to explore your other options for a solution. If you're open to the idea, there are also 3rd party tools that can help with your use case - connect the two instances and sync their data. Such is ZigiOps. Additionally, it can be tweaked to fit current needs - like making visible for the teams only the data you want. Check it out here,at the Atlassian marketplace. If you think it would be useful, you can book a demo (it's free & non-binding) just to see how it actually works. 

Regards, Diana (ZigiOps team)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events