Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How user can create project in JIRA without been an administrator ?

Céline AUDARD December 14, 2021

HI, 

In Jira work management, my users can't create new projects exept if they are administrator. Is is possible ?  In Global permission, there is no permission to create project, exept team managed projects. 

However, when they create new issues (Task, epic ...) they can select many projects already existing in our JIra and so create tickets in any projects, even if they can't see those projects and new tickets. How can I do to block that behaviour and I want that, when a user create an issue in a project, he will be able only to create it in the project where he is at the moment?

Thanks in advance for your help

3 answers

0 votes

Hi @Céline AUDARD ,

As others have mentioned, creating a new company managed project in Jira typically requires administration permissions. To address this challenge, we've developed an app, called Templating.app, that empowers administrators to generate project templates using available schemes. Moreover, administrators can specify users and groups permitted to utilize these templates without the need of having administration privileges. This solution could potentially resolve your issue.

I am the Product Manager for this app. So please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions 💜.

Cheers,

Sarah 

Bildschirm­foto 2024-03-25 um 22.52.06.png

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

Hi @Céline AUDARD 

Only Jira administrators can create company managed projects. However, as you correctly stated, there is the global permission of granting users the ability to create their own team managed projects. Within the latter projects, and because they don't share any configuration with other projects, users can do peetty much whatever they want, without affecting other projects.

Now onto the second part of your post. Each project is bound to a permission scheme. This scheme defines what uses can do inside a project. These schemes however, in company managed projects, are sharable and can be used by many other company managed projects. Within this permission scheme a user is granted permission such as browse project (to be able to see the project), create issue, edit issue, transition issue, comment issue, edit comment etc.

This set of permissions works per project. But is this scheme is shared with other projects then a user can have access to the other projects as well. This reduces a jira admin workload and maintenance, but could potentially increase "security" issues if the initial setup is done poorly.

I would strongly advise to read:

The above documentation will help you understand better how permission work in Jira.

Céline AUDARD December 15, 2021

Hi, I would like to thank you very much as your article help me a lot. Thanks another time, and have a good day

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

Glad to know that! Kindly mark my answer as accepted to help others in the community to find proper answers! Thanx.

Josh Allen January 7, 2022

Are there any plans to have both Company Managed and Team Managed projects in the Jira Work Management world similar to Jira Software? 

We use Jira Software, but I really really want calendars and list view, however, I'm not willing to take the leap to JWM because I want teams to take ownership of creating and administering their projects (team managed) rather than having to administer them with ridiculous amounts of permissions schemes as it is in company managed.

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2021

Hi @Céline AUDARD 

We have to work in bits and pieces here

There's a permission scheme associated with the project. You have browse and create issue permission in the project which is given to roles, and then the user is assigned to a role.

Please go through the documentation of the permission scheme to exactly know about the permissions in Jira

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-project-permissions

Thanks,
Pramodh

Céline AUDARD December 15, 2021

Hi, Thanks a lot for your answer, I'm going to have a look on that.

Have a good day

Like Pramodh M likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events