How to enable Timeline view?

michal-dvorak August 6, 2021

I'm just trying Jira Work Management and created a project from the template Software Project (Kanban).

Problem is, there is no Timeline view in the project sidebar, which is displayed in the documentation: visualize-your-projects-timeline

I looked into Project Settings, but can't find any option how to enable the Timeline. I also noticed there is no start/end dates on the tasks?

The Timeline view looks very practical and intuitive to track chronological history of tasks and how long each task took to finish. So please, how to enable the Timeline view and include dates in tasks for a project?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2021

Hi @michal-dvorak ,

Most likely you have created a jira software project and not a jira work management project. Try the following:

work management.png

Hope that helps,
Alex

michal-dvorak August 6, 2021

Thank you very much! I just thought that all the templates are intended for Jira Work Management.

So, I've tried another template from the Work management category and the Timeline is there!

I would have two more questions though:

1. Is it possible to split a task in the Timeline? Lets say, I've worked on a task for 3 weeks, then had to switch to another more urgent task for 2 weeks, and then will return to the former task. How can I represent that chronologically in the Timeline? Is it possible to specify a non-continuous time interval?

Or should I use sub-tasks to split the work effort? I've tried that, but it seems the Timeline view does not include the sub-task's intervals to the parent task when they are folded.

2. Is it possible to somehow display labels or epics on the board cards? I would like to somehow distinguish task on the board, but I can't get labels there and I couldn't create any epic to distinguish the task -- it seems epics are not supported for Jira Work, right?

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2021
  1. Unfortunately, you can't split tasks in the timeline. A task is supposed to be a piece of work with a start and end date. I totally get what you mean, but no :(
    You could use subtasks to break the work to two different intervals, but make sure to adjust the task start and due date. I suppose that you could create an automation to make the adjustment automatically.
  2. You can use epics. You just have to insert them from project settings > issue types > cog > edit issue types
    Since you use a template, that template doesn't use an epic. But that doesn't restrict you to add them if you find them useful. Unfortunately you can't modify the board and add any fields on the card. Perhaps an app exists for this kind of thing
    You could try this free addon https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219454/color-cards-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Alex

Like michal-dvorak likes this
michal-dvorak August 7, 2021

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ thank you very much for your clarification and recommendations. I appreciate that a lot and I will play more with the project settings and epics.

I like the idea of timeline Gantt charts a lot, and I hope in future they will get even more powerful and more customizable.

Michal

Like # people like this
3 votes
Anthony Wisniewski April 7, 2022

Is it possible to switch a ticket or issue from a Jira Software Template to Jira Work Management?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events