Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to distinguish Epics from Issues on Board

Margriet Kapteyn May 12, 2021

I have created a new project based on the Business project template. In the project I created an Epic (ISO-1) and an Issue (ISO-2, linked to that Epic).

On the board it shows both the Epic and the Issue, and there is no distinction between the two. Ideally I would like the Epic to show somehow that it is an Epic, and the Issue to show that it is an Issue related to the Epic. Either through different colours, field values, a label of the type, doesn't matter what at this stage. 

Any ideas how I can change the appearance of these cards? An alternative solution would be to only show Issues (and hide Epics completely on the board), that would also be acceptable to me. 
Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 15.28.13.pngetc. 

2 answers

0 votes
Yana Stoliarova May 18, 2021

What's estimation type do you use?

I would recommend to use a Backlog board as well. On the Backlog board you have "Epics" tab on the left, which is veery convenient. Then, I have no estimates on Epic, and usually do not set Sprint value for this type. So, Active Sprint Board is always clean.

In your case, you can add a Quick Filter to the board which will return only Epics. Or, even make two Quick Filters (1 - for Epics, 2 - for another types). It's better for users than see all the scope on the Board, even you colored them differently.

Margriet Kapteyn May 18, 2021

I don't think Jira Work Management has a Backlog board. It also doesn't have filter options on Boards - that only comes with Jira Software unfortunately.

Like Yana Stoliarova likes this
Yana Stoliarova May 19, 2021

Sorry, I missed that point. You are right

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Go to the Board configurations -> Card Colours and select "Queries" for the Colors based on.

They type the JQL for the issuetype and select a color. Example below:card colors.png

Margriet Kapteyn May 13, 2021

Thank you for the suggestion Fabian. How do I access Board configuration - where do I click to get to it?Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 09.12.27.pngI see no settings or other options when on the board, and it also is not in Project Settings.

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

It should be on the top right corner of your board and you will need to be an admin to the board. Link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-a-board-938845252.html

However, I'm not sure if this functionality is available for Jira Work Management.  

Margriet Kapteyn May 13, 2021

I created the project and the board (and am a Jira admin) so I imagine I am the admin to the board - but I also don't know how to check this. 
I noticed reference to this configuration in other articles while researching my problem but I don't see any option to configure anything related to the board in Jira Work Management :-( 

Lars Mählmann May 17, 2021

Hello Margriet,

the Jira Work Management is not the same board with the same functionalities than a Jira Software Board.

Currently there is not an option to customize the JWM Biards :-( (I am badly looking forward to have this option).

Please take a look at the roadmap , looks pretty cool :-)

I hope I understood you correctly.

Cheers,

Lars

Like Margriet Kapteyn likes this
Margriet Kapteyn May 18, 2021

Hi Lars,

Thank you for confirming. I raised the issue with Atlassian support and they told me the same. For now, if you want advanced configuration for the board, you have to use JIRA Software (not something we will consider).

It's a shame indeed, as it makes the current board very limited and almost unusable (in my opinion) for anything other than very basic projects. 

Thank you for the Roadmap link, that looks very promising! I am very much looking forward to getting the advanced functions - hopefully soon.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events