Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block an issue from transitioning if there are incomplete child issues?

Frank Cecere July 17, 2022

As the title says, I want to stop a user from transitioning an issue to the Done column unless the child issues underneath it are incomplete. How can I do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2022

Hi @Frank Cecere ,

If you are in company managed project, then 

Go to your Project settings --> Workflows

See what workflow is mapped to the required Issue type and click on Edit icon

image.png

Click in "Diagram" mode for better view of the workflow. 

Click on required transition (example: Open to Close), go to the conditions tab on the right pop up window.

image.png

Click Add Condition -> Sub-Task Blocking Condition --> Click Add.
Select the required status that a sub task has to be, so that parent ticket can be transitioned --> Click Add.

Publish workflow.

Please note: of you are in Team managed project, then this doesnot apply there. It has only few rules that can be added to transitions. 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/available-workflow-rules-in-team-managed-projects/ 

If you have any issues, please share the project type and the related workflow screenshots. Will assist you.  

In project settings, I don't even see workflows. All I see is Details, Access, Notifications, Automation, Issue Types and Apps. I have to go into the Issue Types and then select the default "Tasks" which is what our parent issue type is called. In there I can select edit workflow but my workflow edit doesn't look like yours at all. Similar but not the same. At the top of the editing workflow I have To-Do-Status, In Progress Status, Done status, Transition, and Rule. No condition.

Oh I see, I am in a team-managed project and I need to be company. Thanks a lot for your help!

Like Rilwan Ahmed likes this
Janek Looschen May 23, 2023

Hey @Rilwan Ahmed ,

The solution you posted works perfectly fine with Sub Tasks. However in our Jira Project we utilize only Linked issues. For that the solution you ve posted does not work unfortunately.

Do you have any idea how i could achieve the same results with Linked issues? Ive already tried an Automation but it im having trouble sorting out what is a child and what is a parent.

Thanks 

Janek

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

Hi @Janek Looschen ,

This is not possible in native jira. There was a suggestion request long time back and Atlassian closed with resolution "Won't Fix".
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-1383

Please check Atlassian marketplace for any add-ons which can help you
Example: Jira Workflow Toolbox

Floating electron
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2024

In Jira, there are different concepts like: linked issues (e.g. connected with "is blocked by" link), epic's stories (children issues), sub-tasks (issues with the sub-task type that are lower in issues hierarchy), and the parent issue.

Sub-Task Blocking Condition works only for sub-tasks case.

Therefore, we have created Linked Issues Validator / Condition available as part of the Workflow Building Blocks for Jira free app, it covers all 4 cases. With a wizard-like UI, you can select options that represent your case. You can choose relations from: sub-tasks, parent issues, epic children, and linked issues. Additionally, you can filter relations by issue types and select criteria based on status category and status.

I hope it would help anybody

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2022

Hi @Frank Cecere 

For the workflow that is associated with the parent issue type you will have to add the condition "Sub-task blocking Condition" and choose the Sub-task status and save the workflow to be prior moved to that respective status in sub-task for parent to have next transition appear on the screen.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks,

Pramodh

Hi @Pramodh M

I am still confused about how to do all this, could you give me a step-by-step tutorial? I am very new to the software.

I am in the workflow for the "Task" issue type but I don't see any condition in that workflow.

I am in the new issue view if that helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events