Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automate adding unique values from free text in Issue Description

Bridget Maizey May 29, 2023

Hi,

I'm creating issues that include a unique $ amount in the Description field. I'd like for the $ amount to be automatically added to a Custom '$ Amount' field.

Is it possible to set up an Automation in Jira Work Management that will add the unique $ amount from the Description field to the Custom '$ Amount' field?

I'm hoping I can set up an automation rule so that any digits after the '$' sign in the Description field will be automatically added to the free text Custom '$ Amount' field.

Thank you for any suggestions!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2023

Hello @Bridget Maizey 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Yes, you can do that with Automation!

Where in the Description does this information appear? Is it always at the beginning, always at the end, or might it be somewhere in the middle?

Could there be more than one entry preceded by "$" in the Description?

This document describes a variety of functions you can use with string/text fields to extract pieces of the text:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-text-fields/

The exact function you need depends on the answer to my questions above.

Bridget Maizey June 6, 2023

Hi Trudy

Thank you for your response! To answer your questions, the information appears somewhere in the middle of the Description field, and yes, sometimes there are more than one entries preceded by '$'

Thanks for sending the link to the Jira smart values page - is there any particular function you would recommend from this page?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2023

If the Description may contain more than one entry preceded by $ how will you know which one is the one you want?

Is the amount you want always the same number of digits, and does it include cents? Is there always/sometimes/never going to be a space between the $ and the first digit? Will there be a consistent character at the end of the data; i.e. a space, a period, or some other character?

The match() function might work for you, if the value you want has some unique pattern to it that will not be replicated by any other $ amount in the Description.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events