Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you assign a custom field to a single issue type in a project?

Shane McLachlan May 17, 2023

Hi all,

hoping someone might be able to assist me with an issue I seem to be going around in circles with.

I have created a new issue type for my project - in this case I've called it "Knowledge Transfer". I've then gone and created 3 custom fields which I want to have as defaulted to this issue type, however I don't want them to be related to all the other issue types I use in my project.

I would have thought it was simple enough to just go into the Project Settings > Issues > Types and select "Knowledge Transfer" and add the fields. Each time I do this though it automatically adds my 3 new custom fields to all issue types in my project.

So then I started playing around with Screens and Screen Schemes, trying desperately to see if this would allow me to somehow separate the new issue type from the others so I could edit it directly. However, I seem to be getting this wrong, as in my Project Settings > Screens page it states:
This project uses 2 screen configurations - neither of which is the new screen configuration I have just created, and it doesn't give me any steps on how to add a third screen configuration to my project in order to move just this specific new issue type across to it.

So I guess I have two questions:

1. How can I get a third screen configuration scheme added to my project screen?

2. Should I manage to do the above successfully, will this resolve my issue with being able to have my new issue type uniquely configured to be the only issue type in my project to display my three new fields?

Appreciate any help here, been reading lots of articles that have sent me around in circles for the last 4 or 5 hours. Surely it's easy enough to have an issue type specifically configured to have it's own unique field list?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

Hi Shane - What type of project is this? Company-managed or Team-managed? 

Shane McLachlan May 18, 2023

Hey John, it's a company managed project

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Great - in that case you associate the custom fields to the issue type through the custom fields themselves, and not through the issue types. 

Go to Settings > Issues > Custom fields and search for the custom field. 

Then click the 3 dots menu to the right and select Contexts and Default value. 

Then add the Issue Types for the Custom field there. Be sure to hold down the CTRL key if you want to associate it with multiple Issue Types.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events