Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I see a custom field when creating a new form?

Karen Mackey October 8, 2021

I just created a new custom field and want to use it on a new form entry and don't see it displayed on the right-hand side where it lists the fields available for the form.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2021

Hi Karen - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can't associated a field with a form when you create the custom field. You create the field and associate with the project (the context) and screen which is used by the project. A screen and a form are not the same thing. 

After you do that creation, you go to the form and the field should show up for your to drag to the form. 

robert cortez July 21, 2022

John,

I have the same issue as Karen, but I am finding a disconnect somewhere and am unable to find the custom field in the form. 

I created the custom field, associated it with the project in question, and added it to all the screens available that are related to that project. I am however, still unable to find the custom field to add, to the form attached to that project. What am I missing?

thanks for your time

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2022

Hi Robert - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of field is it? 

robert cortez July 25, 2022

Message Custom Field (for edit)

So I am experimenting with this in hopes to get a form thats in a word document, entered into this type of field. but yea my current issue is that i cannot find the custom field inside of the form anywhere. just trying to locate where i went wrong with screens etc. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2022

That's probably what the problem is. I don't think Message type custom fields are available on the List function yet. 

@Jane Yeoh  - Can you verify? 

robert cortez July 27, 2022

Ultimately, my goal is to have a form (word doc) in a conditional section on a form. 

So if the user selects "yes" then the form appears in a section below. its just a basic word doc / pdf. So I was told to investigate custom fields to get it in there. 

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2022

Hi Robert, Karen,

Thanks for reaching out. Currently the form doesn't yet support all types of custom fields, but we are looking to invest some time in Q2 FY23 to add more fields being supported.

Please send through the top 3 custom fields you'd like to see on your forms, we'll work on getting that prioritised for you.

Like John Funk likes this
1 vote
Jose Luis Gaitan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2021

Hello, @Karen Mackey 

Each issue type in a project has a maximum of 3 sreens (create, edit and view). You need to edit the screen (if you are a project administrator) to add your field and doing it, you could see it when you edit the issue, etc.

Karen Mackey October 8, 2021

Thanks for your prompt response. Let me further clarify... I am new to Jira Work Management. I am trying to assess this tool to a new client. I download a free version from my work (Accenture) account. So far I'm really liking it so want to make sure the project that I have been given can 'fit' into this scheme.

My scenario -- I'm trying to create a new form. And in that form I want to add customized fields. 

When I added customized fields (from the Settings wheel) it asked which screen and context to associate the fields with..that's where I'm STUCK.. I thought I'd be able to associate it with the FORMS. 

Is there some type of video or instructions for this particular scenario. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events