Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I pass tasks from Project to Sprint

Douglas Carter March 17, 2022

I have tasks written up in the JIRA work management Project Template and I want to pass a task to our development SPRINT board. Is there an easy way to do this with out rewriting the whole task? I basically want to share or duplicate my task to the sprint. Can anybody help me with this? Thanx!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

Hi @Douglas Carter - You could do this a couple different ways:

OPTION 1 (Manual)

Move or make a clone and move to the software project

OPTION 2 (Automation)

You could create automation that will copy and link the issue:

• TRIGGER - Manual unless you have business logic that can help trigger it differently
  • ACTION - Clone issue

Thanx for the help! Once its cloned into the Sprint project, It goes to open issues. How do I move it into the sprint backlog so these tasks can be made into a real active sprint?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

This will be a little more tricky.

If you're trying to automate that, there will be some complexity involved.

You need to be able to grab the active sprint in a smart value - This is all fine and good if there's a single issue in the active sprint and that issue was not carried forward from another sprint - {{issue.sprint}}

Given this is the real world and you won't find it in that state, you'll need to do something far more advanced.  Here's a post where someone was trying to do the same thing and where they used the lookup issues action and then some regex to capture what they needed to create a variable.  That variable could be used in your clone issue function to set the sprint value.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Smart-values-access-an-issue-sprints/qaq-p/1636157

This does not need to be automated. The Sprint owner that has a list of issues in their sprint but not in their backlog . How do you move them within the Current sprint from their open issues into the sprint backlog or into the current sprint? There must be an easier wayCurrent Issue to Backlog.jpg

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2022

It would be a two step process to move to the active sprint.  You'd perform the move to get it into the other project and then that will make it appear at the bottom of the backlog.  From there, someone would need to drag the issue into the sprint.

Douglas Mark Carter March 17, 2022

Tried that, Move works great to get it into the new Board, but it doesn't appear at the bottom of the backlog. It only appears in the issues and you have to click all open issues.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2022

You may want to review the board filter to make sure it is inclusive.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events