Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I edit/change the column titles in the "List" tab?

Danish Akhtar May 11, 2023

How do I edit/change the column titles in the "List" tab?

I would like to rename the titles in the list tab. How do I do that?

2 answers

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 13, 2023

Hi @Danish Akhtar

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would be easy to do in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. In a sense, JXL has a few things in common with JWM's list view, however it adds many advanced features (such as support for configurable issue hierarchies, sum-ups, or conditional formatting), and works in (and across) projects of any type.

Plus, you can easily rename all your columns!

This is how it looks in action:

rename-column.gif

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hello @Danish Akhtar 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Those column headers are the names of the fields that contain the data. You can't change field names.

Can you tell us about the problem you are trying to solve with this idea about changing the column headers?

Danish Akhtar May 11, 2023

I want to create an activity tracker with columns problem description, root cause, corrective action, Responsible person, Due Date etc. But I cannot figure out how to change column titles. DO I need to have an administrator status to be able to do this?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

As I said, each column represents a field that can contain data for each issue, and you can't change the name of a field.

You can change which fields/columns are displayed by clicking on the plus sign to the right of the last column. That will give you a list of the available fields. You can deselect the ones you don't want to display and select the ones you do want to display.

If you don't find a field that meets your needs you will need to talk to an administrator about getting additional custom fields. If the project is a team Managed project the the Project's Administrator can help you. If the project is Company Managed then you will need help from a Jira Administrator. Look at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left to find the message that says which type of project it is.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events