Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add an approval step in a Work Management project?

Brock Jolet September 28, 2021

I'm trying to build a workflow in a new project that has an approval step.

In a Service Management project, this is built-in functionality and is as simple as choosing a checkbox and filling in some details. When I try to do so in a Work Management project, the option doesn't exist.

service management.jpgwork management.jpg

I've even tried adding the properties manually to the WM project that exist in the SM project.

properties.jpg

It didn't make a difference.

I know that I can add a condition to each outgoing transition, but I'd rather use the built-in functionality of Jira which sends out emails to the approvers allowing them to approve from their phones.

Can anyone offer a suggestion short of creating a bunch of custom automations to replicate this functionality?

P.S. I'm constantly running into these ridiculous limitation differences between the three flavors of Jira and it's extremely frustrating. I don't understand why I need a plug-in for every basic use case.

1 answer

1 vote
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2021

Hi @Brock Jolet, the approval capability, as you have in service projects, is not yet available for other project types. There is a feature request in the Atlassian public issue tracker that you can vote on and add yourself as a watcher to receive notifications from now on.

You can get some additional insights on how you can implement that at Create conditional approval for a workflow in Jira server, which I'm sure you're familiar with it by now. As you mentioned, some apps could help you with that too.

I've seen similar questions and discussions around this before. I'm sure others will chime in with additional thoughts.

Cheers,
IL.

Brock Jolet September 29, 2021

Hello @ivan ,

Thank you for your reply. I have added my interest to that request.

Unfortunately, I now find myself configuring a custom solution using Automation for Jira where it should be built-in.

Like # people like this
Alejandro Yudis Amaya Bonilla July 18, 2022

Could you do it, I'm looking for something similar

Miguel Gonzalez Baca February 13, 2023

Did you do the Automation, i am having the same problem for my workspace, i want to add approvals to the Jira issues. 

Brock Jolet February 14, 2023

@alejandro yudis amaya Bonilla @Miguel Gonzalez Baca 

I basically added one status for Approved and another for Rejected. You can add validators in the workflow directly on the transitions leading to these statuses to restrict who has permission to use them.

Then I have an Automation rule that updates a read only custom text field noting who made the transition and logging the date/time.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events