Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set up a story/task as recurring (Monthly, weekly or yearly) in Jira work Management?

Sanju Kumari October 24, 2023

I am working on a Marketing project in which we have few tasks which are repeated every month/Year. I don't not want to duplicate the work of creating tasks every time. Is there a way that while we are creating any story/task/subtask, we can set it up as recurring task (Monthly/Yearly) as per our need?

4 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2023

Hi @Sanju Kumari ,

To schedule issue creation, you can use our app called Scheduled Templates for Jira. With this app you can define template and configure when the same issues will be created. You can use even CRON expression to define it. In your case, it's important to fill the Epic link in the template, so every new issue (user story) will be added to this epic.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 25, 2023

Hi @Sanju Kumari

I'm Luka from codefortynine and our Deep Clone for Jira marketplace app could help you with your recurring tasks.

You first need to create your template issue, and then you can use Deep Clone to replicate the template as often as you want. My colleague @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine even wrote a community article on how to use issue templates with Deep Clone.

You then can use a Jira Automation to clone the template issue on a schedule. You can read here more on how this works.

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2023

Hi @Sanju Kumari and welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are you an administrator? If yes, you could accomplish this with a scheduled automation. 

If you are not an administrator, you could accomplish this by creating the issues, exporting them to a CSV, and then importing the CSV any time you need the tasks recreated. This is somewhat manual but could save you some time!

Thanks for the information. How to use the scheduled automation? 

David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2023

No problem @Sanju Kumari !

If you go to "Project Settings">Automation (on left)> Create Rule, I would create one that looks like this:

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 3.25.30 PM.png

This will create a new task every week on Tuesday. But my requirement is to set up a task as recurring. For example, if I have created a user story named ABC. I want that every month a copy of ABC is created automatically under the same epic with all the fields like, assignee, dates, acceptance criteria etc. as is from the user story ABC.

David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2023

Hi @Sanju Kumari !

You can change the Issue Type to Story and set more fields by clicking the "Choose fields to set.." button above "Summary". You could copy all of the fields you want from the Issue you use to trigger the Rule. We need to know what the automation should pick up on to tell it your issue qualifies for the Rule. 

Here's an example of how I might build it using what you said above:

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 2.57.35 PM.png

Sanju Kumari October 25, 2023

Thanks David! Looks good. I will try this approach.

0 votes
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 13, 2023

Hey, Sanju! I stumbled upon your question and thought you might be interested in networking with fellow marketers who use Atlassian products. Here's the link to our new community group in case you're interested! https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketing-Professionals/gh-p/marketing

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events