Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set different status to subtasks?

Shaked Shavitt June 11, 2023

I want to create different statuses for tasks and sub-tasks. When I use the issues type configuration for sub-tasks only, ita applies the same status to the parent task as well. How can I configure different statute for the sub task only? I want the column name to be the same as the task status and use other status for the subtask only. 

Thanks!
image.pngimage.png

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2023

Hi @Shaked Shavitt , first I would like to verify that this is indeed a Jira Work Management project type? Could you go into project settings and click on workflows and let me know what you see there? If done correctly, you should have a different workflow for your sub task. If you only see a single workflow, then that would explain the behavior you are seeing.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2023

Adding to this...

If you are working with a Work Management project and you do succeed in setting up a separate workflow for Subtasks, be aware that the Subtasks will not display in a separate column from their parent task. The parent task and the subtasks can have different statuses, but the subtasks will always appear as a group under their parent task even when their statuses are different.

Shaked Shavitt June 14, 2023

Thanks for your answers!
It's indeed a Jira work management. Here is a screenshot, how can I create additional flow? image.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 14, 2023

You basically need to create a new workflow and associate that new workflow to your project and specifically to the subtask issue types. Below is an example of how I would do that. Note, I am assuming that the workflow you want for your subtasks is very similar to that love the existing workflow. Hence I am using the copy existing workflow method. You can opt to simply create a new workflow from scratch.

1) Create new workflow (I used copy in my image example)

2023-06-14_workflow.jpg

Find your current workflow and click on ellipses.

2023-06-14_workflow1.jpg

2) Add new workflow to your project's workflows. Choose Add existing after clicking on Add Workflow, find and add it then follow screen prompts to associate to subtask.

2023-06-14_workflow2.jpg

Please do be aware of what Trudy mentions above regarding how the subtasks will be displayed on the JWM board. The results may not be what you ultimately desire. For that reason you may wish to try this out on a test project first. Of course you can always undo the above.

Shaked Shavitt June 18, 2023

Thanks!

My project settings looks different than yours, what should I do?
image.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

You are using a Team Managed Project. Moreover, this is not a Jira Work Management project which is the collection associated with this post. You might find the following article useful in understanding workflows in TMP - set-up-a-workflow-in-a-team-managed-software-project .

basically you should do the following...

1. click on Issuetypes
  2. select sub-tasks
  3. click on edit workflow
  4. change your workflow
  5. Click on update workflow and be sure to remove any issuetypes other than subtask
Like Erik Abelsson likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

@Jack Brickey 

The OP is working with a Team Managed Work Management project. If it was a Software project it would say "Software project" below the project name.

Example of Project Settings from a Team Managed Work Management project.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 8.13.37 AM.png

Example of Project Settings from a Team Managed Software project.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 8.10.43 AM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events